**** DONE: 1/48 P-47D Razorback - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just finished attaching the wings, top-side of the starboard was almost seamless, minor wheel well gaps. Port side was the opposite and as you said, nothing major.

Geo

I reckon the starboard wing was made by Republic, and the port wing by Curtis - it'll probably fly around in left-hand circles !!

Thank you gentlemen. Looking at photos I've noticed on some that the supercharge exhaust is a different color than the rest of the bottom on some aircraft. Anomaly or is it discolored from the exhaust heat......

t9.JPG
t10.JPG
ts1.JPG
ts2.JPG
ts3.JPG
ts4.JPG
ts7.JPG
ts8.JPG

This is much more pronounce on the -N model.

Working on the brake lines and then will start correcting the wheelwells as in Terry's(Airframes) build.

Geo

I hadn't noticed this until you mentioned it George, so I've just had a look at a shed load of photos.
At first, I thought perhaps it was a different type of metal, or maybe heat-resistant paint, but further study has shown some aircraft definitely have a different tone in this area, whilst some don't show anything at all, and these were fairly clear photos.
A close up of a currently airworthy example doesn't show any evidence of different metals and, of course, lacks any staining, as the 'blower' possibly isn't used.
However, on those photos where there is an obvious tonal difference, they all follow the same, or a very similar 'pattern', presumably the effect of the hot gasses on the shape of the duct.
The B&W photo below shows the typical pattern, although not as pronounced, or as dark, as on some, and darker than seen on others, and I would suggest that it is heat discolouration, with maybe oil and dirt 'trails' also.
The colour photo is the preserved example at Duxford, and although not the best source of how it looked when in service, notice that the duct appears to be either the underside colour, or bare metal, without the 'Invasion' stripe covering this area, which might suggest, given the accuracy of the IWM exhibits, that the area would not be re-painted with the stripes, perhaps due to heat.
On mine, I'll paint it a greyish metal colour, with heat discolouration, leaving the area clear of the invasion stripes.

Attachments

• Can Jan 786.jpg
    Can Jan 786.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 224
  • Czech 213.jpg
    Czech 213.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 232
Yep, though the majority of photos show the exhaust in camo colored aircraft to be the same color as the under surface, something is going on as in the RAF aircraft(top right, post#26) and the 63FS aircraft, second photo down, same post. As previously mentioned, the N models are more pronounced and the panels around the exhaust are different as well. As with you, I'll try to replicate the exhaust as shown on the RAF aircraft.

Geo

The aluminium doesn't get darker with the heat. The draker colour of the turbo supercharger shroud was because it was of stainless steel. Also panels covered the supercharger duct were of steel rather. However in a couple of pics of P-47 of the NMF I noticed that the turbine exhaust was of black colour.

d&swastegate.jpg

47DA%20Exhaust_lrg.jpg

p256910646-6.jpg

Last edited:
That last pic is really helpful Wojtek. I had a feeling the duct might be stainless steel, but wasn't sure what materials would be used at that period. Today, it would probably be titanium or something similar.
Although a lot of the heat would have dissipated by the time it reached the rear duct, there was obviously still enough temperature to warrant the use of stainless steel, rather than alloy, and in that last photo, of the duct itself, there is evidence of light heat discolouration (the blue/grey whirl patterns), as can be seen on the un-polished bottoms of stainless steel cooking pans.
I just love the way information flows on this forum, and how we all learn something, at sometime, however small.
Fifty years ago, when I built my first P-47 model, I wondered about that duct, but haven't given it much thought since, and now, due to two of us building a similar model, and one person asking the question, the answer is there!
It's a small point, but important and very enlightening, an will help to make our models (and those of others visiting these threads) even better.

George, have you actually stuck the engine cowling to the fuselage yet?
As I suspected, the fit is very minimal, due to lack of mating surfaces, so, on mine, I've glued blocks of scrap plastic around the flat, vertical surface at the front of the fuselage. These will be filed and sanded, once fully set, to follow the line of the small locating lip around the circumference of the forward fuselage, in order to provide a larger area onto which the cowling, and engine, can then fit, giving a more positive 'hold'.
Without these, there'd only be about a 0.75 to 1mm 'lip', not all of which actually comes into contact with the inside of the cowling !

Thanks guys and brilliant Terry. As you said, small gluing surface but actually more than the Academy -47. I've got some "L" shaped plastic. I've started by notching one side so it will bend easy and gluing it to the "firewall". Film at eleven.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back