**** DONE : 1/48th scale N.A. Mustang III, HB837, 541 Sqn, R.A.F., Group Build.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kewl Terry! nice simple colorful scheme ;) Cheers Kevin

Awesome choice T , little bit of the unusual is always good 8)

Look forward to it!

Nice choice, I actually had a photo of one of these birds but bugger'd if I can find it

If you can find a pic of one of these three Mustang III's, I'd be extremely grateful!!

I've had a really good look but cant find it, I'm gutted as it was from a private collection and Hadnt been published AFAIK
It also featured some RNZAF Beaufighters taxing past.

Ah well! Thanks for trying though, and if you do eventually find it - great! Although I haven't seen any pics of these three aircraft, that I know of anyway, I have a feeling there might have been one in the background of another photo of a PRU Mosquito. Like you, I've been searching everywhere for that pic ! No doubt it's either in an out-of-the-ordinary publication, not associated with the subject, or in one of the books I loaned out and never got back some time ago - no chance now either; the guy I loaned them too was buried two weeks ago!!

Terry, found this while googling - a 541 sqn P-51C with a 617 sqn connection...(info from another forum):

In 'Beyond the Dams to the Tirpitz' by Alan Cooper there is a list of aircraft operated by 617.
It lists one Mustang. HB937 code letter, N. Sailed on the SS Brady to the UK 18/5/44. Delivered to 617 sqn 25/6/44. transfered to 541 sqn 14/5/45. scrapped 14/3/1947...

...43-24929; P-51C-10-NT;to RAF; HB937.

Apparently Leonard Cheshire wanted to try using the mustang in the target-marking role for 617, and performed atleast one (successful) trial in a borrowed USAF aircraft. HB937 was possibly oredered as a result.

Thanks Evan! I'd better double check, in case my info is incorrect about HB837.! I don't think it's a typo, as I know there were three P51C's taken on strength for 541 Sqn., with the serials as shown in my No1 post, but I'll check against my listing of USAAF numbers/RAF serial allocations. If it turns out to be the same aircraft, then I'll have to change to one of the FX numbers! Bit of a coincidence, the serials being so similar. But I've had this before, so no sweat (I hope!).
I remember reading Cheshire's book, years ago, where he mentioned the use of a Mustang. I'm not sure without checking, but I have a feeling Gibson also tried one out for similar purposes.
Cheers mate - time to do some digging!

No worries Terry! Struck me as a coincidence too the similarity in the serials, though '937 is possibly a fourth aircraft for 541. (Can't verify the authenticity of the info myself, but the entries came from two different people.)

Here you are mate.... here is one with the Serial No. FX908.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: CRAP it's not one color... sorry mate... hmmm

Attachments

• MUSTANGIII.jpg
    MUSTANGIII.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 286
No probs H, good pic anyway. Looks like pre-delivery, and notice the dark colour of the yellow outer ring to the roundel. This may be due to the use of Ortho film but, judging by the tonal changes in the reds, I think it might be a colour negative printed onto normal monochrome photographic paper. I'm guessing, but the photo might have been taken at Speke, Liverpool (now John Lennon International Airport), where the aircraft were assembled. They were towed by road, in sections, from the docks at Liverpool, and assembled before delivery to the MU's and then on to the squadrons.

Antoni, that's brilliant! Believe it or not, that pic is very useful for confirming a number of small details, and 100% better than anything I have - which is zero!! Thanks very much mate!

FX855 (PK*M) before it went to the PRU. According to Paul lucas in an article in Model Aircraft Monthly June 2005 the serials were FB182, FX855, FX592.

Attachments

• scan0034.jpg
    scan0034.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 277
Thanks Antoni, interesting pic. The serials don't corespond to those I have listed in three sources, but, my listing is for 541 Sqn, as shown in post #1, it could be that those shown in MAM were for 1 PRU. It appears the three aircraft for 541 Sqn were only recieved on strength around 4th June '44, one source stating 6th June. No worries though, at least I now have a pic, and a definite serial number of FX855. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back