****DONE: 1/72 Flettner Fl-282 B-0 Kriegsmarine ship "Drache" - MTO Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

True, the early pilots had a huge pair...It must have been exciting to fly this off of a ship.

DBII

From The Luftwaffe Profile Series No 6 - Flettner FL 282

How to tell if it's a 1 vs 2 seater are the fuel tanks. In order to accommodate the 2nd person, the fuel tanks were removed from the body and replaced with 2 cylindrical fuel tanks on either side of the cockpit.

To take off, the motor was ran at full power while the aircraft was tethered. The tether was then released causing it to leap upward (jump take-off).

In event the engine failed, the craft automatically switched to auto rotation so the pilot could escape.

The seat had an area to the pilots parachute would fit in.

The Fl 282U was designed to be carried by large U-Boats (trials on U-617).

It took up very little space, 10 could fit into the same space required by a conventional shipboard aircraft.

To land - especially in rough weather, a rope would be dropped from a height of 10 meters. The rope was passed through a pulley and pulled taught by hand, which would allow the helicopter to match the up and down movement of the ship.

During a test with a convey, one was able to make out all 12 U-Boats underwater sent to intercept it. This was easier in the MTO due to the water being clearer.

Experimental weapons included Vemag 2 vertical magazines for 5kg anti-sub bombs.

"A mock combat between the Fl 282 (Flettner company pilot Fuisting) and a FW 190 (pilot Ltn. Eisenlohr of E.Kdo.25) tool place at Schewidnitz on 22/6/44, in order to investigate the chances of a fighter hitting the helicopter. At present the evaluation of the film and the pilot reports have not yet arrived. At heights above 100m the fighter was able to get the helicopter in it's sights briefly. Near the ground, especially in difficult terrain, the fighter has little chance against a helicopter." pg 6

I'll try to scan some of the more interesting pics and post.

Finally off to a start.

The kit had a lot of flash and it appears the 2 dies were off as most of the parts are not aligned properly.

The gear box pieces were painted and the glued together. Approx 17mm wide, the pieces were off by approx 3mm (1.5mm on each side). This resulted in having to sand both sides until they were even.

FL282Gears.jpg

Both gearbox and engine completed.

FL282EngineGears.jpg

Great start VB, and fantastic pics guys. Looks like one slip in the 2 seat open cockpit would provide a free haircut!!!

Slowly but surely. The dies appear to have been off a tad so a lot of filing and sanding has been involved. The fuselage is only 3 inches long so that makes it a tad more challenging.

dang I have some cool info I need to post, the heli's were once a specialty of mine back in the 1960's. there were at least 6 different heli's in some useage basic standard for hauling equipment but a ground attack - and yes there was design was in the making for ost front ops..........shades of our thunderbolt A-10 ? who knows, got to keep digging as the place is a mess. did think that at least 3 U-boots maybe more used the small flaired creeper on ops and with success, primarily to spy out Allied heavy ships approaching so a good defensive measure.

VB do you remember and it is probably so but the small crate on the sub has to be flown by KM personell or were they Luftwaffe pilots, cannot remember.

dang I luv Flett's knicker socks those would go great with a pair of my spandex bibs for winter riding ............... NOT !

did you folk's notice Wurgers second pic on page # 2, look closely you can make out the rounded cannister housing R4M missiles ............... Ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh another weapons system comes to mind used over and over again the past years :lol:

check it out and the other links to 4 others variants

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flettner_Fl_282

Last edited:
VB do you remember and it is probably so but the small crate on the sub has to be flown by KM personell or were they Luftwaffe pilots, cannot remember.

According to my info Erich, Kriegsmarine pilots flew the Fa 330 atleast, don't know about KM Fl 282s though.

...Didn't know those were R4M canisters btw, though they were oil tanks or something!

ARK no I was kidding about the rockets, but set that aside and just look at the view and where they are located, one has the Cobra and associated attack heli's of the day comes to mind real easily......... but go back in time this little package had it had 24 missiles on either side, probably would of blown the sides of the heli but what a concept it would of been had it been even tested thusly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back