DONE: 1/72 Minicraft B-24J Liberator, "The Dragon and His Tail" Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maglar

Tech Sergeant
Jan 29, 2009
Florida
Hey all, hopefully I can squeeze this one in by deadline. Badbear was so kind enough to send me the Green dragon decal sheet as this kit comes with a red and dark tan kind of looking dragon. The pictures of the layout sheet and decals are all to his credit, as I wanted to build a model of it after seeing a restored picture of it today on the web. Also did the little gun section. I bought a custom weight which fits under the cockpit to hold it down, no one likes tail sitters... Off we go!

Attachments

• DSC_0213.JPG
    DSC_0213.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 331
  • DSC_0214.JPG
    DSC_0214.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC_0216.JPG
    DSC_0216.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 242
  • DSC_0219.JPG
    DSC_0219.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 256
Well I already painted all the interior pieces and the cockpit is done. Not a lot of details as in, a flat piece of bare plastic for a instrument panel. But hey, no problems here on short time!

Haha yes. Didnt get a lot done as I downloaded battlefield 43' and have been playing the whole night. Friggin Minicraft decided to put one side of the fuselage into two pieces, cockpit side then the rest of the fuselage. So I have to putty each side then attach them together. I do like their bomb bay though, Has the option for open or closed and some decent detail. Painting will be a breeze, glossy black, chrome, done. Shooting to make it look likes its restoration.

Attachments

• redir.jpg
    redir.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 253
Well here is the finished interior. Not much on Minicrafts behalf, but eh. I decided to lock down the right sides gun window as I want the dragons tail to go over it. As you can see, the lead custom weight fits nice and tight and does not disturb the other pieces. I also lucked out as my Testors window cement did its "make your own window" as seen in pic 4. So now I dont have to stress about masking the kits little windows as I can make my own after I paint it. Next to join the fuselage and go from there..

Attachments

• DSC_0222.JPG
    DSC_0222.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 210
  • DSC_0217.JPG
    DSC_0217.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 269
  • DSC_0215.JPG
    DSC_0215.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 188
  • DSC_0213.JPG
    DSC_0213.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 289
Well since it is 1/72 I knew I could pull it off.. Its just a kind of PVA glue. All you do is dip a brush handle into the glue then wisp it around hte window until you have a "bubble" then wipe off the excess and your done. Think of when you put a wand into bubble container, it gets that thin film layer, this is that exact thing.

Fuselage went together and need to putty it. Didnt get anything done today as I just was distracted. WIll probably get most of it done on the weekend.

Well here we are. Need to putty the 4 nacelle sides, from the top / bottom joining, also need to get a piece under the plane. That white piece on the bomb is fallen putty from filling in the entire fuselage, will scrape it off later. Luckily there will be no putty needed for the wing / fuselage joint, the way it was designed it fits perfect.

Attachments

• DSC_0234.JPG
    DSC_0234.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC_0235.JPG
    DSC_0235.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC_0237.JPG
    DSC_0237.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC_0239.JPG
    DSC_0239.JPG