**** DONE: 1/72 Revell SR-71 Blackbird 17978, Playboy Bunny

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The painting has commenced

First I started with laying down the base cote. That consisted of mixing Model Master Flat Black and Dark Sea Blue in a 50/50 mix. I did a test shot and wasn't happy so I upped the Dark Sea Blue to 60/40. This mix tested better.

IMG_0130.jpg

First the drone

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

Next I started with the same base mixture but this time I added a few drops of Model Master Light Gray and some Aluminum. I then lowered the PSI as low as I could and would still allow the paint to flow. It took a few tests to get the desired affect I was looking for but it worked. and I'm pleased.

The only thing that drove me nuts was that the mix worked great on the panel lines but when I painted the nose cone (I wanted a lot of wear on this part) it came out blue. I really had to lighten the mix to get the cone to match.

IMG_0266.jpg

Bottom
IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

Thanks for the kind words guys. I got the future applied earlier this afternoon. I might attempt the decals tomorrow evening. Tonight though its Red Sox/ Yankees baseball and work on the Ferdinand's fenders. 8)

I have no pictures to show tonight but I spent about 3 hours decaling the Blackbird. Tomorrow I plan to give her another cote of Future to seal the decals. After that I should be ready to attach the landing gear struts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back