DONE: F4U-1A of Lt. Bill Case of VMF-214, Group Build...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
cowlingissues.jpg

cowling.1.a.jpg

Now I hope I'm wrong, and I'll say now that I don't know all the ins and outs of the Corsair, but that 'strange prop' I mentioned might be more than just the shaft being too long. In the first pic Cory posted of the cowl-flap mod, the frontal shot with the yucky green cowling, the whole engine seems to be too far forward to me. I think that's what I probably saw in that review pic.
It looks as if the entire gearbox is further forward, standing outside the cowling by a large margin. If it is, that would account for the strange look, but as I said, I hope I'm wrong.

That looks like a nice bit of scratch building Cory, but I dont think the gaps between the flaps should be completely covered, there should be gaps between some of them.... Lemme do alittle research.....

Yea I was right, some of em are completely gap filled, some are slightly gapped, mainly on the lower part of the cowling....

Heres some pics... Terry, there is also a shot of the front of the engine area where u can see the protrusions of the gearbox...

Attachments

• cowl01.jpg
    cowl01.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 111
  • cowl02.jpg
    cowl02.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 106
Yeah, I see that the nose of the gear box protrudes, but those shots of the models look like it protrudes too much. If you take a line from where the prop shaft emerges from the reduction gear housing (on the 'green' model), and extend it outwards parrallel to the front edge of the cowling, it appears to be far too far forward. As I said earlier, I hope I'm wrong. But, if I'm right, I'd suggest looking at ways of either shortening the engine mounts, or maybe reducing the depth of the rear cylinder bank or similar, in order to stop the whole lot being too far forward. A bit (a lot!) of trial fitting before committing to that part of the build should find a solution.

Ive looked and looked Cory, and it seems that every single build that Ive seen on the net shows the flaps being just as u have shown up above, they all have NO gaps in them....

I dont really know why everyone does them the same, but that seems to be incorrect.... I have been wrong before so.....

Im hoping to get some great research material from Micdrow soon, and there may be some detail pics that will confirm or deny this....

Terry, once I get goin on this crate, we'll take a hard look at what the engine front is gonna do and go from there... It wierd that u noticed that and no one has ever said anything about the error in any of the reviews of the Trumpter kit....

I hope ur wrong....

Yep, I hope I'm wrong too Dan. But that shot in the review made it stand out like a dog's dangly bits!
Still, a man of your calibre should be able to sort out a teeny weeny fault of that nature. Piece of p**s!!

Lots of cool pics on this thread, including your Grandfather and his warbird Dan. Looking forward to this one!

Hi Dan, here are the pictures I was talking about. I beleive these where taken a few months after this corsair came out of restoration in 2003 and even won an award at EAA for its accurate restoration.

Attachments

• Scan0004.jpg
    Scan0004.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 105
  • Scan0005.jpg
    Scan0005.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Scan0006.jpg
    Scan0006.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 108
  • Scan0007.jpg
    Scan0007.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 103
So it does Dan, I didn't actually even look at those hehe. That makes things nice and easy then!

Having said that, looking at the second picture that you posted Dan, those do not have gaps on the bottom, but also look at how badly bent and beat up they look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back