Done : Fw190A-6 1./JG1 Unteroffizier Rudolf Hübl, White-5 Oct,1943 Gruppe Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here's the kit Markings and Painting instructions....so ther eis something to see.....hope you don't mind...muller?

Attachments

• 10070207t2.jpg
    10070207t2.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 10070207t3.jpg
    10070207t3.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 70
Cheers fellas, don't get your hopes up on this! I've never attempted mottled camo before, thanks for the paint instructions Wayne. As erich mentioned the spinner is wrong, its 2/3 black and the tip white. What are the RLM colours on this bird anyone? the only German paints I have are WEM RLM 65, 72, 73 79.

the second profile is all wrong as Kunze flew white 1. this is a first staffel machine with a borrowed black/yellow checkerboard markings from 3rd staffel. the prop is all white as well not yellow as shown in the incorrect profile. There should also be 5 white kill marks on the rudder behind the swastika.

the third profile of Piffers mount is from 2./JG 1, the checks are red and black. the 3 is black with thin red trim. White rudder, yellow undercowling and the prop is yellow tipped with red base to the engine

I haven't double checked M, but for the period, the cmouflage colours would be 74/75/76. I'll dig out the pic(s) and post them for you later tonight.
Terry.

Yeah, she's definitely in the greys.....

There ya go Guys, a good indication from Erich that you should check references to confirm what is presented....as it is not always interpreted correctly.

Here you go M. Thought this pic might be useful for you, although it's a FW190 A4. The aircraft is from IV/JG1, taken at Arnhem (Deelen or Gilze - Rijen?) after a landing accident.
I've done a separate post with some FW190 drawings that might also be of use. See 'Focke Wulf Drawings' post, in the Modelling Section.
Terry.

Attachments

• Group build 102.jpg
    Group build 102.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 74
well known pic Terry of a 1./JG 1 crate cracked up, white 4, there are some 6 pics of this crashed bird. It is very interesting that this being an A-4 it has outboard long barreled belt-fed MG151/20's installed and not the drum-fed short barreled type

Thanks Erich, I thought the same, and had some doubts, about it being an A-4, due to the cannons. I couldn't find the other pics I've seen/have of it in enoug time to get the post up. So it IS a 1/JG1 bird - again, I had doubts about it being captioned (the pic) as a IV/JG1 kite, as I couldn't see a Gruppe marking. But, this particular pic came from the old Heinz Nowarra book, which has a number of misleading (? strange!) photo captions. There is one that declares "...Fw190's in the Battle of Britain..."!! I gave the benefit of the doubt to something being lost in the translation from German!
Terry.

the checkered design was terminated shortly after the 1944 year came into being and then I. gruppe used the white/black stripes with different coloured props and the spiral(s). the numbers stayed the same. this past August was honoured to visit Jerry C. and see colour footage of I./JG 1 and see first hand the mythical red/black checkerboard cowlings of 2nd staffel thought to be total nonsense..........nope the real thing existed.

good ol Heinz N's books were and I mean were the classic sources that we used back in the 60's early 70's.............man that seems like an eternity ago.

good pic Terry, Mombeeks JG 1 book also says white 4 is an A-4, but like you have my doubts

Yes, I used to have Heinz's old 'Harleyford' books on the 190 and 109, and another which I can't quite remember. I got them between about 1962 to 1964, and still have another 3 Harleyfords, but the Nowarra ones were loaned out, and never came back!! Darn, I hate that!
The book the pic came from was published in the UK in 1988, having been first published in Germany in '87. Gosh! I didn't realise I'd had it that long - time flies!

I think it was Fw190A-4.Look at these pics, please.The fuselage-wing transition at the wing leading edge looked differently for A-4 and A-5/A-6/A-8.As we all know, I'm sure about it, later Fw190A had the engine mount longer and for the reason there was added smothing like an additional section to make the engine cowling matching to the fuselage.The addition is clearly visible in the pics of A-5/A-6/A-8 as you can see in the included magnified shots.Comparing these later Fws to the enlarged part of Terry's pic the addition is not noticed at all.

Attachments

• FW190A-4  IV_JG1_.jpg
    FW190A-4 IV_JG1_.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 79
  • FW190A4.jpg
    FW190A4.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 86
  • FW190A6.jpg
    FW190A6.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 84
  • FW190A-8.jpg
    FW190A-8.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 68
Yep, you're right Wojtek! I've just checked some scale drawings, and that extension was 152.5mm, and the enlarged leading edge wing fillet is clearly different. Good work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back