**** DONE: Hurricane Mk1, L1807, DU-X, 312 (Czech)Sqn, RAF, October 1940 Group Build.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much, Andy, Harrison and Roman. It'll only cost you a couple of beers Roman - or a very small piece of recovered wreckage from one of the crash sites!
Andy, the tubular frames could be in 'silver' painted finish, or Cockpit Green, or both! I think it possibly depended on where the aircraft was built (Langley, Glosters etc). I've seen various combinations, on different Marks, but it seems that the lower fuselage, and 'secondary' frames, were 'silver', with those in areas of high wear, that is, near the pilot, or where regularly used equipment was fitted, in the green finish. As I've only added a couple of the 'tubes', I decide to give a bit of contrast. I've got some good colour pics of restored and airworthy examples, of different Marks, and B&W period pics (which show the contrast) if/when you need them. Also, when I eventually get a transparency scanner, I'll be able to scan all the lovely detail shots I took of the Hurris/Spits and Lanc when I made the AV show for the BBMF !!

Thanks for the info Terry. I have an unbuilt Mk IIC I'll need to get at some day. Unfortunatley I missed the MTO GB by about 6 months.

Mine's a Honbycraft I picked up for 10 bucks. It will be a challenge and will require the right mindset. Scheduled to go well after my CF-5 is done and a few simple builds are behind me.

Racing ahead now, with the wings and tail planes on, and some necessary alterations completed. The few very small gaps and joints have been filled with 'porridge', and will be lightly sanded when fully hardened, and there are just a couple of things to add, such as the radiator bath and supercharger intake, before moving on to the first painting stage.
PIC 1 Shows the notches cut into the wing tips, for the navigation lamps. These will be made by supergluing in place some scrap clear sprue, then sanding to shape and polishing. The coloured internal bulb covers will be simulated by first drilling small holes on the inner face of the sprue, then filling with the appropriate colours.
PIC 2. For some unknown reason, the spent case ejector slots weren't even moulded as raised lines, so these were cut into the lower wing surface, and the inside of the upper wing painted matt black. Final sanding has yet to be done here.
PIC 3. The slight gap, from sanding, in the lower cowling joint has been filled with 'porridge', and will be sanded when hard. Also visible here is the hole drilled for the coolant overflow/ crankcase breather. (BTW, 'porrifge' is the liquid filler, made from clear gloss varnish and talcum powder.)
PIC 4. The hole provided for the retractable boarding step is situated right in the centre of the lower fuselage - seems the kit designer thought that WW2 pilots had extremely long, and very flexible legs! This has been opened up, and partly filled with PVA, and will be glazed after painting the model, as this should be the location for the signal lamp ! A new hole for the step has been drilled in the correct position, under the port wing root fillet. Also seen here is the re-engraved lines of the inner flaps, and the central wing to fuselage joint, again filled with 'porridge'.
PIC 5. The rear cockpit bulkhead, behind the head armour, was sealed with PVA, then filled with 'porridge', and will be sanded flush and re-painted when set.
PIC 6. Where the model is up to so far, with the gun port panels also added, the ports above the wing centre line, and the edges filled and sealed with more 'porridge', as are the wing root joints.
So, once this lot is all sanded, and the remaining small areas attended to, the first paint will be applied, hopefully within the next couple of days.
Thanks for your interest.

Attachments

• BoB Hurri build 036.jpg
    BoB Hurri build 036.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 90
  • BoB Hurri build 037.jpg
    BoB Hurri build 037.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 79
  • BoB Hurri build 043.jpg
    BoB Hurri build 043.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 76
  • BoB Hurri build 039.jpg
    BoB Hurri build 039.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 88
  • BoB Hurri build 040.jpg
    BoB Hurri build 040.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 90
  • BoB Hurri build 041.jpg
    BoB Hurri build 041.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 84
Stellar work Terry.

The Hobbycraft kit is OK but the decals are a disaster. You'll end up painting everything or will need to raid your spare sheets. PE parts are included, somewhat unnecesarily as the expected stuff like seatbelts are not included but the cockpit frame, which I'd rather have as round tubing is included on the PE so they're flat. The prop blades are thick and have some pretty bad sink marks in them. Canopy is molded in 1 piece and on the thick side. I got a vac form one.

Overall, it should come out OK with a bit of grunt work.

Thanks Andy. Your description of the HC kit matches what I've read so far, and apparently all the versions of the kit are basically the same kit, different decals! The latter aren't a problem, as I've got 'Sky' code sheets, and the prop I can take care of. I still have a master mould for the canopy too, so the main thing will be after market resin wheels.

Stellar work Terry.

The Hobbycraft kit is OK but the decals are a disaster. You'll end up painting everything or will need to raid your spare sheets. PE parts are included, somewhat unnecesarily as the expected stuff like seatbelts are not included but the cockpit frame, which I'd rather have as round tubing is included on the PE so they're flat. The prop blades are thick and have some pretty bad sink marks in them. Canopy is molded in 1 piece and on the thick side. I got a vac form one.

Overall, it should come out OK with a bit of grunt work.

How does the interior look?

Do-17's look like a disaster from them

A bit basic, from what I've seen, but probably equal to the Airfix kit. It should be remembered that these kits are pushing 30 years old (and more for some) , and the standard was good for the time. Also, HC released a lot of kits of types no one else had done (like the Do17), and the 1/48th scale market was still pretty slim back then. Overall, their kits are pretty reasonable to good, in general outline, finesse of moulding and surface detail etc, but their age must be considered when comparing to more 'modern' kits.
Anyway, back to the Airfix Hurricane.
The final construction stages before painting are almost complete, with the radiator detailed and fitted, the nav lamps underway, and the landing lamp recesses detailed. The carb intake has also been improved and fitted, and some work done on the control surfaces, joints and seams.
PICS 1 and 2 Show the small amount of detail added to the otherwise plain radiator. The matrix has had the reinforcing ribs added, and the shutter has been cut off, and replaced by a new one, made from thin plastic card, in the open position. The support rods and actuating arms have also been added, from stretched sprue, as has the support rod for the intake. The latter has also had its lip thinned down to a more scale appearance.
PICS 3 and 4. The completed radiator installed, and awaiting clean-up and the joints attending to.
PIC 5. Scraps of clear sprue have been super glued into notches cut into the wing tips, and will be filed, sanded, and polished, to represent the navigation lamps. The sprue has been drilled on the inside, and the holes filled with the appropriate coloured paint to simulate the coloured internal lamp covers for each side.
PIC 6. The bare landing lamp housings have had lamps added, from slivers of plastic tube, and the surrounds have been painted to simulate the exposed, open wing structure. Once the silver paint has fully hardened, lenses will be added, from PVA, and the lamp covers cemented into place and masked, ready for the painting stage.
PIC 7. The carb / supercharger intake was drilled out and filed, to open up the otherwise solid part, and fitted to the fuselage underside.
PIC 8. The control surface joints have been sawn through, using a razor saw, to give a more realistic appearance. The horizontal joints on the elevators have also had a chamfered edge filed into them, to simulate the curvature of the control surface leading edge.
A few other small jobs have also been completed, such as altering the tail lamp, which will be glazed after the model has been painted, and all joints have now been sanded, and checked with a light coloured primer (which can be seen in some of the pics). This will be lightly sanded back before commencing the painting stage.
Thanks again for your kind comments and interest, and I hope to post another up-date over the weekend.

Attachments

• BoB Hurri build 056.jpg
    BoB Hurri build 056.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 74
  • BoB Hurri build 054.jpg
    BoB Hurri build 054.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 76
  • BoB Hurri build 050.jpg
    BoB Hurri build 050.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 73
  • BoB Hurri build 046.jpg
    BoB Hurri build 046.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 73
  • BoB Hurri build 044.jpg
    BoB Hurri build 044.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 81
  • BoB Hurri build 057.jpg
    BoB Hurri build 057.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 71
  • BoB Hurri build 059.jpg
    BoB Hurri build 059.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 75
  • BoB Hurri build 065.jpg
    BoB Hurri build 065.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 75
Thanks Roman and Wojtek. I hope to post some more pics later tonight, if all goes well !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back