Done : JV44 Fw190D-9 "Red1" of Heinz Sachsenberg Gruppe Build....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OK, so I have 2 methods to try out... The cotton bud and the raised edge mask...

What would happen if I lowered my air pressure on the brush and tried to "spot" spray the mottle with very light fast presses??? Do I run the risk of paint splattering out???

OK, so I have 2 methods to try out... The cotton bud and the raised edge mask...

What would happen if I lowered my air pressure on the brush and tried to "spot" spray the mottle with very light fast presses??? Do I run the risk of paint splattering out???

Would not want to speculate too much, there are still a lot of variations to your proposal....could work but how low, what ratio of paint mix?...you could try half a dozen ways/mixes and get good and bad results, as I don't know just what kind of pattern you can actually achieve...would like to see some samples of mottle and lines with say a ruler for comparing size of line and mottle patterns...does this make sense?

Cory is on the right track, a slightly raised template, someone has already posted something on this method....but where?...Ianlanc thread?

I believe it was Njaco actually. He cuts the spots out of cardstock and holds it just above the model. That's where I learned to do that anyway.

Les, you COULD do that, but it would mean cutting it all out again.

Yea Wayne, it makes alot of sense...

Looking at what Cory just said above tho, I think that may work.... I wont have to re-mask it, just hold the cardboard cut out over the areas I want to feather out and just go from there...

That sounds like a winner, gonna have to try it out.... How far should I hold the cardboard from the model to get some decent results???

Well, Ive been workin on the mottle some today, and the results came out pretty decent I think.... Havent done much with the RLM83 yet, been concentrating on the RLM82 first....

Attachments

• mottle 006.jpg
    mottle 006.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 71
  • mottle 007.jpg
    mottle 007.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 70
Thanks guys, but Im rather dis gusted right now... The mottleing is waaaaaay too heavy compared to the profiles... Im going to have to try and spray some RLM76 back over parts of it and in between the mottles and try to lighten up the RLM82...

I dont have the skills or the right airbrush to make this thing look like it should, and its pissin me off...

It's looking good though Dan. Maybe a very fine misting of the 76 over the whole mottled area, keeping the brush away, and moving it all the time? That might get what you want. If you look at the 1/32nd FW190A8 I posted somewhere not long back, that was my very FIRSTt airbrush attempt, 30 years ago, and that's how I softened the over-dense initial mottle. Could work, and it looks like you can get the 'brush fine enough to go back on the mottle afterwards, if neccessary.

I'll tell ya what Terry, experiencing this has made me truly appreciate urs and Waynes work...

I will attempt to re-apply the 76, but I should probably do it all screwed up the way I have it and then do the whole thing with the RLM76....

Agreed, or should I attempt to lighten it up now and go from there???

Always try the easier option first! Go for trying to lighten it with a misting - if it looks OK, then, if you think it needs it, you can go over the mottle with whatever method you prefer. If you foul it up with the misting - nothing lost, just continue, as if respraying. BUT, check first, as the misting might do it. Remember, when the clear coats go on, everything softens and blends. The way I try to foresee the latter, to get a feel for how it will look, is to....lick the paintwork! It really works, as it gives a better effect than trying to simulate a clear coat with water.
It's not far of now, so I think a mist will improve it, and maybe a bit of dry brushing if required, to soften the edges of each mottle 'spot'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back