DONE: RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair NZ5255 ,Flt/Sgt R L.Bayly No.21 Sgn/4 Su Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yup ,which puts this model in the "most frustrating model I've ever built" spot -all down to my inexperience of course

Pics tomorrow after abit more cleaning up

I'm with Wayne here Daniel. If you can, try to get the paint out of the panel lines and control surface joints first, then continue sanding. OK, you'll still have to go back to the panel lines, but doing it first will remove the worst before they're clogged with sanding dust etc.
When you've finished sanding, give the whole model a polish with 'T-Cut'or similar, and it should look smooth again, with any sanding scratches polished out. Before re-painting, give it a thin, even coat of primer, probably a light grey enamel, and let it dry for a good 12 hours at least before doing anymore.
Don't worry about the fabbric detail being lost; on the real aircraft it isn't visible, even close up, and the 'ribs' on most models are nearly always overdone anyway.
It cetainly looks like it was celluloe thinner that caused the problem - so put it away!

Thanks for the advice Terry! :notworthy: will go do some more engraving/sanding and post a few pics in a couple hours to show whats happened

These are but the trials and tribulations of modeling. Recovery from a disaster to a great model only builds the skills and teaches. Actually, the models that I've had similar experiences with are the ones I'm most fond of and remember most.

You can do it!

Last edited:
Cheers mate! here it is now -just put some klear on ,hoping that'l smooth it out abit more

Attachments

• IMG_0277.JPG
    IMG_0277.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0284.JPG
    IMG_0284.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0286.JPG
    IMG_0286.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0287.JPG
    IMG_0287.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0288.JPG
    IMG_0288.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 113
Cheers mate

Alot of the white stuff in the panel lines isn't paint but where the needle 'scraped' the bottom and left a 'scar'

Should look okay once painted and further clean up is done

Cheers guys for the advice and compliments

Think Il wait to wait til summer time to finish these Corsairs . Just takes too long for the paint to dry ,that klear coat I put on took about 2 days to fully set - wasn't even sure then if it actually was .Gets pretty cold in the garage and I aint allowed any modelling stuff inside with 2 wee ones around

So apologies guys ,I bit off to much with these 2 builds .I will get the zero done though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back