DONE: RNZAF F4U-1D P/O Brian Barstow of NZ5517-No.16 Sqdn Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Also once got told that RNZAF airbase "Woodbourne" was named after the burning of all the Mosquito's that were simply burn't on river beds -Although I'm pretty sure this is incorrect-Evan can you confirm it?

You guessed right, Daniel! RNZAF Woodbourne was established in 1939 already.
There is a connection to the Mozzie's though - they were retired to Woodbourne while awaiting disposal :(

Here's a link to the base if you're interested: RNZAF - Base Woodbourne

Good luck with your project too!

Cheers Evan and Wayne ,I think Il send them an email or something (later tonight ,will let you know how I get on)

Also thanks for the link Evan (can't believe were down to 3 bases now) and even thats not garanteed to last! Could almost cry of what happened to the Mossies there ,don't suppose you've seen that colour footage of a guy cutting up a Mosquito fuselage on the side of the river to be burn't? and with an axe (I saw it ages ago and think it was from round there/time) :cry:

This one will make you cry Daniel. I used to know Pete Thorn, who was an ex-RAF pilot who had workerd with the BBMF, and, at the time I knew him, was a University Air Squadron instructor, and also displayed the red Spit XIV, G-Fire, now registered in the 'States.
Anyway, Pete's Dad was Bill Thorn, the chief Avro test pilot for the Lancs during the war. Pete told me a story of being in a Lanc, possibly with his Dad, or maybe a ferry pilot, can't remember now, just after the war. They flew this Lanc to an airfield, I think in Cumbria, to join many more that were retired, and would ultimately face the scrap man's torch. They taxied in, parked up, and shut down the engines. Even before they got the rear entrance hatch open to disembark, a crane had arrived, and swung a huge metal ball on a chain, knocking the still hot engines out of their mounts, to be 'weighed in', or maybe salvaged, separately!
Now that's what I call ruthless crime!

They didnt waste time Terry..!!! :shock:

Re the Mozzies, The RNZAF kites were only stored at Woodbourne, prior to removal from the base by truck to be dismantled.
(Even when I was there, we had a retired Safe Air Argosy (ZK-SAF) on base under the same circumstances, and the retired Air New Zealand Fokker Friendship fleet were sitting off base awaiting sale/ disposal. A second Argosy airframe (-SAE) had luckily been saved by a preservation group, and was sitting in a field next to the base)

Apparently Mozzie scrapping went so: 'engines were lowered by the simple expedient of pulling out the top mounting bolts, whereupon the scrappers descended, and all metal parts were quickly discharged off to the smelters' (From 'Classis Wings Downunder' June 1996)

Haven't seen that footage you mentioned, btw, but heard of similar occurrances :(

I've seen photos of the Mossies at Woodbourne ,you don't wana see them! rips ya heart out :(

The Argosy outside the base is a real landmark -last time I was in blenheim I sat next to it and had fish n chips while the summer sun set! Awesome plane -cool livery too 8)

Got a few pics of her and SAF before they broke her up (on base). She had a large hole ripped in the rear fueslage from a landing mishap, so we were able to get in and sit in the cockpit.

What condition is SAE in now?(and is she still in the field where she was?)

What a cool thing to learn from Terry!

Evan I'm pretty sure its still there ,about 90% sure .Down the road at omaka where they have a Safe Air Bristol Freighter you know thats got its engines running? Did a low speed taxi at the recent airshow I believe

Won't be doing anything on my 2 builds for at least a week

Recently discovered 'borer' in the garage and have sealed it up and plan to let off a 'borer bomb' to try and get rid of the b@stards tomorrow(got to rest for a week)just curious has anyone had something similar to this ? its worrying me as it seems to be spreading and I've got some really nice rimu that would be a real shame if went to waste (not to mention alot of $$$$ down the drain)

if you've never heard of 'borer' it means this

"little insects are eating my garage"

Rimu is a native NZ timber (Its bloody beautiful) I recently got a heap of it for free which doesn't ever happen .Grows extremely slowly which resulted in the stuff being limited to how much could be milled (price sky rocketed) a while back

funnily enough my whole house (studs etc) is made of it (becuase it was built before the politicians got rimu protected)

Sorry mate ,never heard of Obechi -Rimu can vary in darkness (My base for my 109K-4 is made of Rimu -although thats at the light end and use to be wall studs!) The 'Heart' wood (inner part of tree) is rich and dark (aka the good stuff) looking forward to hearing back from the RNZAF regarding NZ5517 -and then continuing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back