**** DONE: Tamiya 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf-109E-4/7 - JG 26 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice one Maria!
Try to get some 'invisible' mending thread to use for the antenna wires - should be around in sewing shops etc., and probably easier to find than fine fishing line. It can be attached with a tiny spot of Superglue.

Hey Hey !! she stole my plane!! :lol: it looks really good Maria :thumbleft: I started on that one for the gruppe build but it was dated wrong and had to improvise.Again looks good and are you ready for some BBQ ribs hitt'in the grill in about 2hrs.I know you like to eat.:)

STUPENDOUS!!!!!!!!!!:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Awww thanks Aaron! :oops: :oops: :oops:

ahhh, "Weiss 12" - I believe Joachim Muncheberg flew that. Great job! and who says you need an airbrush??!! Excellent work!!

Thanks Njaco. ;) :oops:
The paint job did take a little time, but I do believe that it was worth the effort. ;)
I used a brush for the base paint, then I dabbed with a piece of makeup sponge to distribute the paint somewhat evenly. For the camo I osed a brush, dabbing the paint in splotches along the sides of the plane, then dabbing again with the makeup sponge to smear the paint a bit.
And for the mottled pattern, I half-dry-brushed the dots all over, then dabbing gently again, this time with a semi-paint-dry makeup sponge. i.e. the paint on the sponge had dried a bit, but not too much.
Basically I think it's okay. It could be worse, but I still think that there's room for improvement. :)

Turned out great Maria.

Thanks CR. ;) :oops:

Nice one Maria!
Try to get some 'invisible' mending thread to use for the antenna wires - should be around in sewing shops etc., and probably easier to find than fine fishing line. It can be attached with a tiny spot of Superglue.

Thanks again Terry - I'll see if I can find that particular kind of thread, I think the model would look cool with the aerial antenna in place. ;)

Hey Hey !! she stole my plane!! :lol: it looks really good Maria :thumbleft: I started on that one for the gruppe build but it was dated wrong and had to improvise.Again looks good and are you ready for some BBQ ribs hitt'in the grill in about 2hrs.I know you like to eat.:)

Thanks Javlin ;) :oops: :thumbleft:
Barbecue? I'll be right there! :lol:

Last edited:
Brilliant !!!!. Really well done Maria. I like it very much. :cool: :thumbright:

Concerning the antenna wire. Take a longer piece a sprue frame. Light a candel and holding the part of mould frame with its two endings , warm up its center keeping it over the candel flame. Don't keep it too low to the flame because it can catch a fire. The melting process can be seen if you try to bend the sprue piece. When it is warmed up enough , stretch it drawing it out to sides. You might try to do it a few times in order to get training but stretching will provide you a very thin styrene thread for the wire. Also you can use a thread ripped out from an old pair of tights.

Hi again guys and thank you for all the good advice on this build. *courtsies@assembled gents - and Jan* :lol: ;)

I found a solution for the aerial antenna without having to go shopping for that ultra thin thread.
I came to think of my fly tying gear, and I wondered if I still had that ultra thin black thread that I used for tying dry flies (= very small fishing flies).
Rummaged through the boxes, and bingo! :lol:
A wee roll of 6/0 Uni thread - snatch! ;)

Got the super glue out, attached the horizontal "wire" in the antenna, let dry.
Then I took the plane sides a very small bit apart in the "spine" with the scalpel (thanks Terry! *hug*), inserted the vertical "wire" at the right spot and removed the scalpel blade so that the thread got caught between the sides.
Added a tiny drop of superglue, let dry - and then glued the rest of the "wire" onto the horizontal piece of "wire". Let dry, snip off the excess thread, and bingo. ;)
Added a little paint where the thread is attached, and now I have a nice aerial antenna on the 109.
That is, after I remembered to add the white tail band. :oops:
So NOW it's finished. Finally!
And I'd like to join in the BoB Group Build, if nothing else then just for fun. :)

Attachments

• 79.JPG
    79.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 80.JPG
    80.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 85.JPG
    85.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 113
Nice one Maria! Now that it's got the white tail band, it's in the colours worn in Sicily, in early 1941, so not really BoB anymore. But, it's OK with me if the other judges, and members, agree.
If not, save the other '109 for the Messerschmitt / FW Group Build thingy - whenever that is!

Fantastic Maria, a great looking machine, you should be very proud of yourself. Also like the gold fob watch in the background, Great-Great grandfathers tucked away somewhere..............

Hope they let you in on the BoB GB, then you can make more planes for the Focke Wulfs Messerschmitts next year.

Nice one Maria! Now that it's got the white tail band, it's in the colours worn in Sicily, in early 1941, so not really BoB anymore. But, it's OK with me if the other judges, and members, agree.
If not, save the other '109 for the Messerschmitt / FW Group Build thingy - whenever that is!

Consider the tail band removed - it's loose anyway, when I have posted this, I'll remove it.
And thanks for the kind words. ;)
I'm looking forward to the next 109, now that I've got an idea about what I'm getting myself into here. :lol:

EDIT: Done. :)

Attachments

• 87.JPG
    87.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Fantastic Maria, a great looking machine, you should be very proud of yourself. Also like the gold fob watch in the background, Great-Great grandfathers tucked away somewhere..............

Hope they let you in on the BoB GB, then you can make more planes for the Focke Wulfs Messerschmitts next year.

Ah yes - a FW-190 would be nice, but I also like the idea of doing some ace fighters - Hartmann, Steinhoff, Bader, Stanford-Tuck, Johnson and the like. :)
Or maybe Rudel's "Kanonenvogel". Oh there's plenty of ideas of kits to make, that's for sure. :)

And the watch was one I bought cheaply at my Used Stuff-shop in Ballerup once. It still works nicely, and I use it with my white workman's shirts, 1880-style, and my black woollen vest with the old golden police buttons. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back