Mitsubishi A6M5 Zero Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes indeed master Wojtek !! The kit! needs abit of work .Il get some detailed shots up tomorrow -I'd be interested in your comments of how I could improve it .Want to learn as much as possible!

Glad to see someone building a Japanese bird :) I have a 1/48 Aichi D3A1 (Val) I could enter. But I don't know if I'd have the time to build this as well as the A20 P40. You going to have her well weathered with lots of bare metal showing through Dan?

Absolutely! I plan to give her 2 decent coats of silver then a light airbrush coat of the 'green' Then I start playing around with it! This is the most likely scheme but I haven't 100% decided yet

I tell ya whats cool ....your avatar! I've been craving a good drink all night and now your teasing me! :) seriously though Guinness is bloody good stuff

Not to worry Dr Wojtek, we'll find something for you to cut into...:lol:

You made me a day Jan.THX. :D

Yes indeed master Wojtek !! The kit! needs abit of work .Il get some detailed shots up tomorrow -I'd be interested in your comments of how I could improve it .Want to learn as much as possible!

Thank you Daniel.I'll be waiting for that.:)

Here you are Wojtek .Upon further looking at the kit its not as bad as first thought (cowling excluded) and I'm interested with what Il make of it (also sorry for the crappy pics :oops:)

Theres no cockpit detail apart from a pilot ,Tips on scratch build welcome

Attachments

• IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 82
Hi,

The main thing you have to scratch build is the cockpit floor.Then you should add two semi-cross-sections , one at the beginning of the floor and the second one at its end.I have marked these with arrows of different colours.Also marked the place where the pilot panel should be.
To begin with, the first step is to clean up the cockpit interior with sanding.Simply you have to sand off all unwanted thinkgs there.The inner cockpit sides have to be smooth.What is more sanding will make them thinner.So be careful of the sanding.Also it would be nice if you could have drawings of Zero cockpit in order to see how it looked like inside.For the floor you can use a phone-card or another thin ( max. 1mm) piece of plastic sheet.These cross-sections can be made with the same sheet.If there were these in the real plane, make them as the same in its shape.I mean all holes etc.But first of all, make them as a solid ones and fit to the fuselage.When the floor and cross-sections are fitted, mark places where these will be glued to the inner cockpit sides.Then add some stringers and semi-cross-sections to these cockpit sides like it was there.Then add the rest of scratch-built pieces mounted on inner cockpit sides.I mean the throttle, radio-remote control device, some wires etc.... When done glue the floor with these cross-sections to one of halves of the fuselage and paint.On the second one paint the scratch-built side as well..
The next step is to make the pilot panel and rear parts of the fuselage MGs that were seen in the Zero cockpit.Paint them as well and mount to the half with floor.If you want you can make some of weathering to the floor and other parts at the stage.Then put these halves together and you almost have the cockpit finished.The pilot seat and stick can be paited separately and added later.

Attachments

• IMG_0008a.JPG
    IMG_0008a.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 97
Yep..it is possible as well.But I suggest doing it later.
Here you are someting what can come in handy.In Zip file these in actual sizes with an additional drawing.

Source unknown.

Attachments

• zero cockpit.jpg
    zero cockpit.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 99
  • zero cockpit1.jpg
    zero cockpit1.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 104
  • zero.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 51
I was curious Daniel, have you figured out yet what model zero you are going to build this as then. If so let me know and I will see what info I can dig up on that specific model of zero.

Daniel you can use carton for making templates of these parts and the initial fitting of the floor and semi-cross-sections.

Wouldn't of thought of that -Cheers mate! looking forward to starting now

I was curious Daniel, have you figured out yet what model zero you are going to build this as then. If so let me know and I will see what info I can dig up on that specific model of zero.

Proberly just as per the box art -although that belongs to a training uni doesn't it? If it is then no and why the hell did Revell have a box art with it in combat with a Corsair? (just another revell stuff up?) Want to do one in a similar scheme with LOTS of heavy weathering (ie bare metal showing through)

Looking at the top-box I noticed that the tail number looks like for A6M5 Model 52 of Tsukuba Kokutai at Oita airbase in July of 1944.

I found these profiles....

Attachments

• Zeke1.jpg
    Zeke1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Zeke2.jpg
    Zeke2.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 116

Users who are viewing this thread

Back