Mitsubishi A6M5 Zero Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I wonder if this may be useful...
G-AEUC Short S.23 C-class was one of the targets.

Action Log of 3-Ku dated March 3, 1942
Mission: Attack on Broome, WA

1 reconnaissance plane and 9 Zero fighters despatched from Base No.335.

Attacked Broome with air-combat and shootings against target land/water air-bases.
On the way home, found a type DC-3 transport plane and attacked. Target ditched on the seashore and burnt.
Our 1 fighter(3/3ro?) ditched on the sea near "Roti" Island. Pilot rescued on the island on March 21.
Our 2nd team leader crashed during his attack. Almost certain.

1 reconnaissance plane and 7 Zero fighters arrived at Base 335.

Attachments

• 65_57.jpg
    65_57.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 209
  • 65_57_b1.jpg
    65_57_b1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 65_70.jpg
    65_70.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 1of2RS.JPG
    1of2RS.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 135
Wouldn't of thought of that -Cheers mate! looking forward to starting now

Proberly just as per the box art -although that belongs to a training uni doesn't it? If it is then no and why the hell did Revell have a box art with it in combat with a Corsair? (just another revell stuff up?) Want to do one in a similar scheme with LOTS of heavy weathering (ie bare metal showing through)

From the information Ive read on this squadron which is limited that this was an advanced training squadron which where used in combat as home defense squadrons and would probably make the picture. Im guessing the aircraft pictured on the box is an instructor aircraft as it has 4 kill markings on the side. Im looking for a black and white photo of this aircraft but so far no luck. Lots of profiles for this aircraft as Wurger posted two and I have one also from a different book.

Will have to do some more digging.

From the information Ive read on this squadron which is limited that this was an advanced training squadron which where used in combat as home defense squadrons and would probably make the picture. Im guessing the aircraft pictured on the box is an instructor aircraft as it has 4 kill markings on the side. Im looking for a black and white photo of this aircraft but so far no luck. Lots of profiles for this aircraft as Wurger posted two and I have one also from a different book.

Will have to do some more digging.

Thanks for the help mate! also Thanks Shinpachi for the info- interesting!

To make it easy I think I just do the one pictured on the boxart -little more weathered (like the one pictured-source:wikipedia)

Thanks again guys!

Attachments

• A6M3_Model22_UI105_Nishizawa[1].jpg
    A6M3_Model22_UI105_Nishizawa[1].jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 234
I don't know much about Japanese aircraft Daniel, but I think the pic you posted shows an oversprayed green colour over the top of an earlier scheme of light grey, or whatever the light colour used by the Japanese was! It looks more like a toning down, rather than weathered.

Well it sounds like you have made up your mind on model and type so here is so info on both. Hope it helps and I will see what else I can dig up. All pictures are of the A6M5 model 52C series which is the model on your box.

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 197
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 179
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 188
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 198
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 193
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 196
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 431
Here is another action log of the 3-ku(3rd aviation unit) dated January 30, 1942.
I believe one of the targets was 'Corio'.

Action Log of 3-Ku dated January 30, 1942
Mission: Patrol and attack on Kupang and Kolbano

Despatched Base kendari

No enemy planes above Kupang.
Shot to attack 1 large plane running on the ground, drums and a part of wooden hanger to burn.

Near 115 degree 30(?), found 1 large plane which was about to land on the water.
Shot it down to fire.

No enemy plane above Kolbano.
Attack to fire 1 Lockheed and to destroy 1 more.

All gathered to home.

Returned base.

Attachments

• 3ku_Jan30_1942RS.JPG
    3ku_Jan30_1942RS.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 138
Hey Paul, obviously you haven't found a photo of that damn Tsukuba Zero either!:D

Iv'e got a lot of Japanese reference too and a pic of that aircraft still eludes me....yet there are numerous profiles and a few kits that depict this Zero?

Hey Paul, obviously you haven't found a photo of that damn Tsukuba Zero either!:D

Iv'e got a lot of Japanese reference too and a pic of that aircraft still eludes me....yet there are numerous profiles and a few kits that depict this Zero?

Hi Wayne,

Yeah you are right about that. It is driving me crazy as Ive found a couple of profiles. Usually when there is a profile there is a black and white photo that goes with it. Then again the more I think about it the corsair in the picture bugs me. I could see this unit in combat but not with corsairs but with heavy bombers. So another mystery to be solved :)

This is the closest Ive come so far Wayne.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 149

Users who are viewing this thread

Back