My Damn Finger... ***WARNING: Graphic Damage

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well here ya go fellas, hope no ones squeemish...

Was standing on top an 8 foot ladder attempting to screw a long wood screw into some 3/4" plywood we use for our communications backboards with a cordless drill...

Was having a hard time gettin the screw to bite, so I was really leaning into it with my shoulder..... As some of u may have already been witness to, the phillips head bit in the drill jumped off the screw head and went straight into my finger....

No small little boo boo here, the bit went down to the bone, spraying blood and bits of meat all over the sheetrock.... After I walked out the unfinished building leaving a large trail of blood, I got to the job trailer and a sink to wash it out and see what I did....

The amount of meat and fat cells sticking out the hole the bit made rather shocked me.... I wasnt expecting so much damage...

Please guys, remember these pics and be careful when doin something as simple as puttin in a screw....

Attachments

• ouch 001.jpg
    ouch 001.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 469
  • ouch 003.jpg
    ouch 003.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,486
  • ouch 004.jpg
    ouch 004.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,074
I had something similar happen. The drill jumped just like yours but went through my son's hand. He was holding the piece of wood. Funny but he won't help me any more.
Ed

I knew I got it good.... I squeezed my hand shut to staunch the blood flow, and it was just pouring out the cracks in my balled up fist....

Alot of cussin Jan....

Got some associated nerve damage as well.... Noticed a small red/black dot just outside the wound while cleaning it, couldnt get it off, it would just move around.... So I grabbbed it with my fingernails and it was attached to the wound....

Snap it goes and the pain shoots all the way down to my elbow, curling fingers and my arm in a cramping motion....

I had ripped out the remaining nerve tissue.....

I've done something similar so now I never hold screws while pushing hard. Phillips screws are notorious for doing this. Give me a Robertson any time.

New thread idea? Self mutiliation pics?

Holy crap ....Dan....Glad the drill didn't run into the finger deeper. I hope the wound will be healed as soon as possible.

took my ring and finger off the hard way about 23 years ago, tell people i can only count to twenty now when naked

Sheesh! At least you have christened the building...you are bound to it's fate now. :0

Seriously, since I'm an RN I have to say this, make sure you're tetanus shots are up to date. You probably already checked; but it is terribly important in case your last shot more than 10 years ago.

Look for a phillips driver bit that has a longer shank with a metal sleeve that can slide forward over the screw and hold it in place. It doesn't help now, but next time...
Later,
derek

Dan... did you burn Becca's virgin ears ??? Owwww.... looks nasty. Watch for the red streak creeping up the arm.
Like my Mom use to say, it will get better before yoiu get married.... in your case, again.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back