SBD-2 Dauntless "Black B-1" Lt. Richard H. Best VB-6 Uss Enterprise Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

forget the brush....seriously Chris.....Simple way is to use decals, best way is to mask and paint...carefully with light coats!

There is a good reason for you building this model Chris don't take the wrong path and mess up the good work you have done so far!

I agree with Wayne Chris. Think it through, then when you've decided which route to take, take it easy, bit by bit, and you'll get it done. It doesn't matter if this part takes as long as the whole build so far, there's no rush, you've still got over two months. You can't foul up this one mate, it's special!

Thanks guys. I have some extra D-Day stripes hanging around which I think I will try first. If it doesn't work, its easier to remove than say, paint.

That's the way to think mate! Good luck, let us know how you get on. If they don't work out, you can always consider getting some solid colour decal sheets. These are normally available in most major colours, and can be cut to whatever size and shape you need. Once you've got them, they're there 'in stock' for any future awkward jobs.

Oh, I have enough D-day stuff. The stripes are only about 1 inch or so but angles up the rudder. Now, steady hand, use the guide, steady......

Ok, frickin' stupid question from this ETO guy. At this time - June 1942 - were the markings carried on the wings on both wings or just left side? I'm seeing both, like in Jan's siggy.

should be both sides, upper and lower..No meatballs....Schemes were orderd changed shortly after Coral Sea. There were some variations in rondel size...On some A/C the painted over meatball and red and white rudder stripes could be vaugely made out under the blue paint.

like these marines...good weather shots...life website claims these pic taken just prior to june 4 at midway, but I suspect it was probably july or early august..And since these appear to be -3's and the Marines only had -2's at midway...Other BW pics show white numbers, forward of the rondel.

Attachments

• dauntless g.jpeg
    dauntless g.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 97
  • dauntless i.jpeg
    dauntless i.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 103
Just pok'in my head in for the first time there Chris and that frigg'in paint looks awesome there Sir!! Like others have said and I think you have it right with the decals first take it easy getting close to the end.James thanks for the photos make me poke my head in and they are qiute nice too Sir.Cheers Kevin

James, once again, thanks for the pics!!! Well, the color might be right that I painted but it looks like some heavy fading and weathering will be needed! And I'm 2 short on the stars. Will check my stash. Great pics. VB-6 had black lettering just forward of the star at this time and white slash marks up the rudder. Now to just get my @ss in gear alittle. :)

Last edited:
If you don't have the stars Chris, let me know. I'm sure I've got some plain stars, probably about the right diameter roundel, from an old P40 kit. Let me know the diameter, and I'll get them off to you.

How is everybody this fine fine day!?

Do I feel good!

Ok, based upon the great pics from james and others, I realized that the blue I had painted was correct but there was to be a lot of heavy weathering. Nothing like you find on Luftwaffe ac (my theatre of choice) and so those little tricks won't bode well with this. Hmmmmmm.......

So I gots a plan!!

First, I have a Wildcat hanging around that is painted in the same scheme but no decals. Cool, I have something to practice on.

Next, I break out the $2 box of pastels I bought for the Defense GB and take out a white and a blue pastel. Scraping them into a powder (3 parts white to 1 part blue) I mix and then add the water and soap. I now have a liquidy, very light purplish mix. Grabbing a large brush, I liberally apply to the Wildcat. Let it set for a few seconds then wipe with one of the make-up pads my pre-wife supplied me. It looks great! Dulled the color and lightened it although not exactly like the pics. Thats ok.

I then get some Lichtblau acrylic paint and another large brush, and easily load the brush, wipe until almost nil, and dry brush some areas. GREAT!! The effect is what I'm looking for! I don't have any pics yet - next day or even tonight - but the plan is to do the whole plane like this, getting a solid coat of wash and wear then seal with gloss and then do the finesse weathering with panel lines and exhaust. But for now it looks like I have climbed that mountain!! Can't wait to show some pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back