Tiger I. Kursk Armor Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's long been a subject of debate as to when the Winerot came into general use. Basically, the Dark Yellow was found to be rather distinctive in certain field conditions, and so crews applied their own schemes in the field - to all armour and other vehicles, not just Tigers. This lead to a varied selection of colours and patterns, mainly a dark green and a brown, similar to RAF Dark Earth. It's virtually certain that, before paints were issued for camouflage, various mixes were made in the field, with different tones of a red brown colour beong made from red and black, plus whatever else could be at hand.
These colours proved to be effective, and eventually were 'standardised' and issued under the names we now know.
At the time of Kursk, and after, and in other theatres too, vehicles could be seen with varying patterns, some with a single colour of stripes or mottle, others with two or more, and a shade of red brown being one of them.
However, even as late as June 1944, vehicles were still arriving at front-line units finished overall in Dark Yellow and, due to lack of time, and / or paints, other means were found to tone-down the colours. The 21st Pz Div in Normandy, for example, smeared mud over some of their newer PzKfw IVs.

Thanks guys!, and thanks Terry for clarifying the paint colors. After Dirk's post last night I was worried I had messed up with my color choice's
The vinyl tracks are really p!ssing me off! They repel superglue as well as Terry's Buccaneer

Last edited:
I don't know how well it'll work in this small scale, but on 1/35th scale tanks, I superglue the track to the wheels at the points of contact at the sprocket, and at the joint. The latter is normally at the bottom, under the wheels and, on the Tiger, a spot or two where the tracks sag behind the drive sprocket. Superglue isn't designed for vynl or polythene type materials, but it will stick eventually !

P7152290.JPG
Finally got her on the tracks after a lot of bad language! Terry the vinyl those tracks are made out of must be totally resistant to superglue. It didn't peel off, it fell off! I put the tracks together using a hot knife and melting them. There is actually no glue at all holding them on but they fit pretty tight and won't come off. I'll disguise that ugly joint on the bottom with some "mud"

Last edited:
I agree, a very nice job ! That joint will disappear, as you say, with some 'mud', especially if it's on a 'grass' base or similar.
I've just realised, it's obviously a much newer kit than the original Airfix Tiger, which had very basic tracks, and, as I remember, was an early version.

That video gave me some good ideas Harrison and I think I can make it work with what I have on hand. I hadn't thought of using plaster in the mix, and I have a collection of earth tone pastels that will work for the pigment. Thanks for the link!

That's looking great Glenn you did well with the tracking and thanks for the nod on how to deal with such a dilemma.

Thanks also H for the video, just the job for wallowing in the mud.....
hahaha-024.gif

Last edited:
Nice one H. You should find that talcum powder will work just as well, if not better, as it resists cracking more when dry.

Thanks Vic, Wayne. Doing decals now, all 4 of them :rolleyes: then its on to the fiddly bits, headlamps, antenna etc. and it should be done except for the mud. Terry's got me thinking about a base though, and I may do one if I can get the Goblin finished off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back