August 6th, 1945

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
Today is the day the atomic bomb fell on Hiroshima. I actually took a moment this morning to reflect on the lives that were lost in that terrible war.

Freedom isn't free for anyone. It actually has a horrible cost and is paid in blood. My thanks goes out to all the men and women that have served their countries.

Great post Thor! It was a shame that the war had to be ended in this fashion, that the Japanese military and government could not face the inevitable and surrender. Many lives could have been saved. I especially feel bad the the average Japanese citizen who were basically pawns in the overall picture and were on the receiving end of the bombs. Many thanks to all those who have served their country.

:salute: To all who made freedom possible, and those caught in the middle.

Thanks for the post, NJ. I knew it was in August, but I can never remember the date.

Salute_Smiley_Standard.gif

Wheels

While I feel the sentiments of all ur posts guys, I feel something alittle bit askew....

I think of all the Allied lives, and Japanese civilians, that were saved with the bombings... Lives that didnt get extinguished in the prolonged defeat of Japan.... Millions would have perished, and to think what this world would be like without all those living ancestors frightens me... Im glad there were men who rationally decided that the sacrfice of 200,000 was worth it...

It still is shame that it had to happen....

I am with you on that, Dan. Both of my grandfathers were in War related industries, so neither served in WWII (one was in the CAP though). But I had 2 uncles that were in the Pacific and I can't help but wonder if they would have made it home alive if the bomb hadn't been dropped.

It sucks it had to end that way, but how many more would have died.

I agree with Dan and Eric. On V-E Day my dad had enough service points to stay in Europe while many newer replacements were eligible to be shipped to the Pacific.

If Operation Downfall had been necessary though, I'm not sure I would be here typing this post.

To me, August 6th and August 9th saved the lives of tens of thousands of American soldiers and made it possible for millions of men to come home sooner.

War is Hell!

TO

No arguments there, Dan. My :salute: to those caught in the middle includes those sacrificed to end the war when it did, with the Bomb. This would be a very different country right now if the Allies had landed in Japan itself (which would make a very interesting topic of its own!).

Here is my thoughts on it. It had to happen. Every Allied life that was spared, and every Japanese life that was spared because I truly believe that it shortened the war, made the bombings worth it. I believe the bombings were the right thing to do.

What I find a shame is the fact that the innocent people of these two cities had to have this happen to them because of the Japanese regime and its aggressive, oppressive and evil ways. It never should have come to this...

Here is my thoughts on it. It had to happen. Every Allied life that was spared, and every Japanese life that was spared because I truly believe that it shortened the war, made the bombings worth it. I believe the bombings were the right thing to do.

What I find a shame is the fact that the innocent people of these two cities had to have this happen to them because of the Japanese regime and its aggressive, oppressive and evil ways. It never should have come to this...

Agree 100%. Well put. What I was trying to say in my first post.

While the death's of those 200,000 civilians is sad, I have to say it was the most favorable decision Allied High Command had. The only other options I could think of would be either blockcade or invasion, both options would have a higer death toll then Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Don't forget the loss of those people, but don't also forget the lives saved with cancelling operation Downfall and ending the war quicker.

Not to mention all the POW's that would have been executed the second that an Allied boot hit the beach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back