Big Build - Hawker Hunter.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

With Jason ,Absolutely superb Terry!

The 1/72 revell hunter is great ,I've got one its Awesome!

Thanks again chaps, very much appreciated.
Dan, the Hunter IS big - much bigger than I expected for a single seat jet fighter. It's virtually the same size as the 1/32nd Tornado I've yet to finish off, and God knows where I'm going to put them both!

Thank you Wojtek.
I've got the uppersurfaces sprayed in the grey and green camouflage, using Humbrol enamels. The silver undersides were given two thin coats of Johnson's 'Klear' (Future) to protect them and, when dry, the demarcation between upper and lower surface colours was masked using Tamiya masking tape, as were the undersides of the tailplanes. Areas that were liable to being hit by overspray were masked with Frisk film. The wing tips were then masked and brush-painted white, this in turn then being masked once dry.
The Dark Sea Grey was sprayed first, covering the entire uppersurfaces and, when dry, masks were cut for the wings, so that the Dark Green could be applied with a hard edge between the colours. Frisk film was also used for these masks, and it performed rather well. However, due to my stiff hands, I experienced difficulty trying to apply this film, cut to the required shapes, to the curves of the fuselage. After making a right b*lls of laying down the masks after at least two attempts, I gave up and drew-in the camouflage pattern lightly, in pencil!
The Dark Green was sprayed without problems, even into the awkward angles between the top of the fuselage and the tailplanes, and the inside of the air intakes. The fuselage pattern was sprayed free-hand, and was almost, but not quite hard-edged. A small brush was used to finish off these edges, to make them match the masked areas.
The pics show the model in the various stages of being sprayed, with the final 3 pics showing it after the masking has been removed, ready for touch-up here and there on the grey and green.
The next step is to do some light panel line work on the upper surfaces, and slightly lighten or darken some of the inspection/access hatches a touch, just to provide some contrast. Then, I'll need to mask the area for the arrowhead-shaped, blue and white Squadron flash, which surrounds the fuselage roundel, and paint this by hand. Fortunately, I have some circular, self-adhesive labels that are exactly the same size as the roundels, so I can stick one on either side of the fuselage, in order to help me get the proportions and angles right, then remove them later. Once this is all done, it'll be time for another couple of coats of 'Klear', then decal time. That should be fun, as there're a total of 246 of them !!
I'll need to do something about the small Squadron badges, one either side of the nose, and I'm hoping I can reduce the drawing I made, and print these from the computer, onto white decal film. If not, it'll be a delicate hand-painting job.
Thanks again for your interest and kind comments, and I'll post some more progress pics in due course, after I've done a bit more on the Bf110 first.
Terry.

Attachments

• Hunter Build 234.jpg
    Hunter Build 234.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 90
  • Hunter Build 239.jpg
    Hunter Build 239.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Hunter Build 241.jpg
    Hunter Build 241.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Hunter Build 244.jpg
    Hunter Build 244.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Hunter Build 243.jpg
    Hunter Build 243.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 90
Thanks Karl - I was just thinking the same! B*ggered if I know where I'm going to put it! I think I'll have to change things around on the downstairs shelves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back