**** DONE: 1/48 CAC CA-13 Boomerang - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi

Thanks guys, I've got the magnifying glass again because this kit certainly gives it's money worth in detail. The side console has fourteen parts, the instrument panel five, not counting the gunsight yet. Thirteen parts in the rudder and stick controls and a further thirty seven for side consoles, rear armour, gun cocking controls, seat, harness, support framing and fuselage frame.

The engine is a mixture of resin and plastic has individual pushrods, inlet manifolds, bearers and exhaust, cylinders, for a part count of around 60. I haven't started that yet.

In summary there are 130 plastic parts, 21 clear parts, 32 etch parts and 31 resin parts. That's, my gosh, 214 parts! And it's a wee bugger too!

Time for another update I think.

Pic 1, 2 3
Port Console details next are reasonably straight forward, though I will not add the console until I paint it. I'm leaving out parts C14 and D17 (x4) as these are the gun cocking controls which were deleted at the end of CA12 production. The machine guns were manually cocked before takeoff in the CA13 (which Grim Reaper is). Tragically I lost one throttle lever in the construction phase and broke another off in the "Great Fuselage Fix". More on that later. I'll scratch up some better ones later, before I close up the fuselage.

Pic 4, 5,
Exploded parts Diagram and pic of seat and etch. I won't assemble the seat with the harness yet. I'll attend to that later, after painting. The cast resin seat is great and super thin. It has a pin hole fault at the top I need to fix. Etch part PP10 seems to be a duplication of the reinforcement plate around the centre slot. This is already well cast into the resin seat, so I don;t see the need to overlay it with the etch (which is also missing the slot by the way).

Pic 6, 7, 8 9
This is the start of the frame work, starting with the fire wall. The ducting has two big holes/ sink holes that should no be there, so they were filled before assembly. There were two big ejector pin marks on the fire wall which I also removed. It was a bit tricky getting that all together and I deliberately left off the cockpit "floor" until after paint and detail. You'll understand why later on when the control stick is added.

While I've been mucking around with all the details, I've also been dry fitting the wings, fuselage sides and both of them together and things are not looking good. Nothing fits well. Canopy is oversize and gaps at the wing root. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• sequence8 9 and 10- resized.jpg
    sequence8 9 and 10- resized.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 153
  • sequence6 and 7- resized.jpg
    sequence6 and 7- resized.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 154
  • sequence6 002- resized.jpg
    sequence6 002- resized.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 142
  • sequence6 001- resized.jpg
    sequence6 001- resized.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 134
  • sequence10 001- resized.jpg
    sequence10 001- resized.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 143
  • sequence9 002- resized.jpg
    sequence9 002- resized.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 153
  • sequence8 001- resized.jpg
    sequence8 001- resized.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 162
  • sequence9 001- resized.jpg
    sequence9 001- resized.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 161
  • sequence10 002- resized.jpg
    sequence10 002- resized.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 163
So....

Things are a little off with this kit, so I started searching the net for answers, and was put onto a magazine article in Scale Aviation Modeller International, which featured a build of this kit. The exact edition, if you need it is Vol 17 Issue 12. In it, the builder had the same problem, and the solution was to add to the fuselage width with plastic card strips. When that was done, everything came good and made room for all the interior details which needed to be stuffed inside.

Can't take credit for the fix idea , but I followed the build article and here's what I did.

Pic 1 2
I glued 40 thou strips to the forward fuselage and behind the cockpit upper and lower.

Pic 3
Once glued down, the card was trimmed and sanded down, with "wedges" created behind the cockpit to allow a proper fit at the rear.

Pic 4
Top view with canopy in place. Note that the canopy in now the exact width. Good-o!

Pic 5
Front cowl. The front cowl should be exactly circular to accommodate the P W engine. With the card spacer, it's a lot closer as before it was oval shaped.

Pic 6
The wing roots gaps have closed up nicely. I'll need to make it a little wider at the rear to get a tight fit, but much better.

Pic 7
The front wheel wells now match up really nicely.

I'll be doing a little more fettering and fangling to get the fit as best I can over the next few days. I'm glad I found the answer to that.

Another update soon.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• fuselage fix 008.jpg
    fuselage fix 008.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 167
  • fuselage fix 001.jpg
    fuselage fix 001.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 171
  • fuselage fix 002.jpg
    fuselage fix 002.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 173
  • fuselage fix 004.jpg
    fuselage fix 004.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 167
  • fuselage fix 005.jpg
    fuselage fix 005.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 178
  • fuselage fix 006.jpg
    fuselage fix 006.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 182
  • fuselage fix 007.jpg
    fuselage fix 007.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 172
Aye gotta work hard to align some of these kits :)

Great outcome :)

that is a very nice save. i wish i had known or thought of it with my Boomerang. i had similar problems.

Peter 9or anyone)

Do you think the cockpit framing struts are finished in the same colour as the rest of the fuslage. Im doing A46199 9home james, and it looks to me that the cockpit framing might be a slightly darker colour to the "forest Green" finish applied to the body. What are your thoughts?

Peter 9or anyone)

Do you think the cockpit framing struts are finished in the same colour as the rest of the fuslage. Im doing A46199 9home james, and it looks to me that the cockpit framing might be a slightly darker colour to the "forest Green" finish applied to the body. What are your thoughts?

Do you mean the canopy frame? You should follow the painting guide and go with the Foliage Green. I have a couple of photos of Home James and they don't show a particularly darker frame than the fuselage. The photo attached might be an example, but could be explained by the angle of the light, fading paint, repair work or polishing efforts.

Do what ever you reckon - it's up to you! 8)

cheers

Peter

Attachments

• BOOM - resized.jpg
    BOOM - resized.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 179
  • A46-199 resized.jpg
    A46-199 resized.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 167

Users who are viewing this thread

Back