**** DONE: 1/48 Consolidated PBY-5 Catalina Commonwealth GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Tiger and Peter.

Was going to do some initial spraying today but by the time I was ready for action it was as hot a blazes in the shed and the compressor would have got n' to hot and would keep shutting down. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Vic may have to work on the ashtray but he didn't forget the TP! :lol:
From post 280:

I do appologize Vic...I have had to miss the shot with the toilet interior. Brilliant, my friend...:cool:

And that's a pity the ashtray can't be there. :( You might put there an issue of the "Life" magazine instead.

Get out to the shed early Vic....

I was awake well before dawn and it was 28C outside and come dawn it was so overcast that I almost needed a torch to find the shed, by the time the light improved, about 9:50 the sun was just coming out and it was a searing 37C and it was hotter than satins den in my shed...............so no spraying today................Maybe tomorrow.

I do appologize Vic...I have had to miss the shot with the toilet interior. Brilliant, my friend...:cool:

And that's a pity the ashtray can't be there. :( You might put there an issue of the "Life" magazine instead.

No problems mate but if it's 'Life' magazine, have you by chance got a 1943 copy cover I can reproduce...........
hahaha-024.gif
.......just kidding. I'll add the idea to the other requests for maintenance manuals and RAF form 700.

Will this work Vic? I had it handy. Date's a little early but you'll never see it when its reduced to 1/48 scale

Attachments

• life_081042.jpg
    life_081042.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 94
Why thank you Glenn.............and Bill................nothing like a challenge and rest assured my friend if all works out a copy of each magazine will be in there somewhere.......................but you will have to find it.................do we have a deal..............
MSN-Emoticon-thums-up-059.gif

Last edited:
It's been a hot couple of days and it isn't going to cool down. Had a go at spraying the first camo yesterday and found the paint drying in the nozzle then spitting out just like an Aborigine hand painting splatter. Persevered but the outcome and colour are just yuk. My dilemma is the colours I'm trying to reproduce as there is no exact equivalent. At the time the RAAF were using RAAF Dark Ocean Blue and RAAF Night, the nearest equivalent have been given as FS25045 or FS 35044 for Dark Ocean Blue and FS26044 or FS36076 for Dark.

110129-1A.jpg
The dismal spray effort.

110128-1A.jpg
The possible equivalent FS colours.

As a result of this crappy spray and colour, I've started to hand paint the camo using a slightly less smoky colour and more of a Dark Sea Gray for the RAAF Dark. As it's now drying, we'll see what it looks like in the morning.

Outside of the spraying and colour dilemma, I'm still deliberating on a diorama for the Cat, consequently apart from reproducing a couple of 'Life' magazines I've also been knocking up a few space filler extras.

110129-1B.jpg
110129-1C.jpg
110129-1E.jpg
110129-1F.jpg
110129-1D.jpg
110129-1G.jpg

In your posted pic, Vic the 'cloudy' variation that I see actually looks ok.....?
Even though it doesn't quite match the posted FS variations of colour.

Your space fillers are pretty damn good too!!

Hey Vic I run into the same problems with heat and humidity here in central Fla. I use slow thinners and retarders also virgin lacquer thinner will help .The finish looks perfect for a weathered look and the color is'nt too far out of sorts. Great looking Cat brewing there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back