**** DONE: 1/48 Curtiss A-8 Shrike – From WW1 to WW2 GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I came up with a new method of doing small windows and it worked out pretty good. The Shrike model depicts the small windows behind the forward cockpit as only panel lines so I opened them up early in the build. Now it was time to put glass in them.
Picture 1) I cut the windows out of plastic that came from the collar support of a new dress shirt. In this picture they had been coated with Future so the CA would not fog them.
Picture 2) The windows glued in a little higher then flush and the space around the edge filled with CA. I decided the rear most window was too small to do this way.
Picture 3) Surface filed flush with a needle file
Picture 4) Finished windows after sanding and polishing and another application of Future. I wish I had done the smaller window too. I'll probably go back and do it later. When I mask them I'll keep the tape a little smaller than the window to give it a clean edge.

P1279249.JPG
P1279251.JPG
P1279252.JPG
P1279253.JPG

Last edited:
I've been working a little bit at a time on it and have put on the wheel pants and upper wing struts. Also there was no center divider between the oil coolers so I fabricated one out of scrap plastic. I managed to crack the windows right behind the cockpit wile handling the model. The clear plastic was too thin so I've removed them and have already cut new ones out of thicker plastic and will install them when the coat of future on them cures.

P2039261.JPG

Last edited:
Been trying to get it ready for paint.
-Fixed those two windows using thicker plastic (scrap from the vac canopies)
-Put on the cable attachment fairings aft of the cockpit
-Cut out and cleaned up the vac canopies and dipped them in Future
-And of course more sanding and polishing.

P2059263.JPG
P2059264.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back