**** DONE: 1/48 Curtiss A-8 Shrike – From WW1 to WW2 GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lot of work but I got the wing on.

Picture 1) The wing roots were way too wide for the wings so I brought out the big file to take them down. The fuselage section of the wings was also too long front to back to fit the opening in the fuselage so that had to be filed also.

Picture 2 The wings on. Setting the dihedral was also a pain, but it came out ok in the end.

Pictures 3 4) The upper wing joints after sanding and polishing. Still needs a little work where it joins the fuselage.

Picture 5) Underside joints with some rough filing done. Still a ways to go.

P1199227c.JPG
P1199230c.JPG
P1199231c.JPG
P1199232c.JPG
P1199233c.JPG

Last edited:
Just guessing that you might have had a tough time keeping that file flat against the plastic and that the gap near the leading edge could be a result. Nonetheless, looks like a straight forward fix.

Just guessing that you might have had a tough time keeping that file flat against the plastic and that the gap near the leading edge could be a result. Nonetheless, looks like a straight forward fix.
The cause of that problem was the opposite. The file made the wing roots too straight and the wing side joint kicked out toward the front. The left side shows better where the joints didn't match. The gap on the right side was about the same until I started fixing the dihedral, then it opened up a lot more. Neither should be noticeable after painting. That thick CA does a wonderful job as a filler.

All the cleanup and polishing is done on the wing joints and I installed the horizontal stabilizers. They fit surprisingly well and the joints will only need a quick pass with sandpaper.
I read in a review that the axle on the resin wheels was very week and prone to breaking so I thought up a way around it. Picture 3 shows one of the resin wheels as it came with the attached axle. I have broken off the axle on the second wheel and drilled it out along with the wheel spats and will replace it with the aluminum tube in the picture.
Picture 4 shows the wheel spats glued up with the wheel and tube temporally in place for alignment. they will be removed and the spats will be cleaned up and installed on the wing After painting the wheels will be replaced later with a short piece of axle and the hole filled, sanded and paint touched up.

P1259242.JPG
P1259243.JPG
P1259245.JPG
P1259246.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back