**** DONE: 1/48 Curtiss A-8 Shrike – From WW1 to WW2 GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys.
Quick update. Windscreen glued on and faired in, and windows and the cockpits masked off and ready for paint.

P2069266.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks David.
Should start paint tomorrow. White or light gray undercoat on the wings and tail, followed by yellow. Then the masking for the OD begins.

Easy Paul, I put the tape on overlapping the edge, than take a sharp #11 blade an run it along the edge.

Sprayed on the white undercoat followed by a three of coats of yellow. Yellow is my least favorite color to use, either with a brush or an airbrush, but the final coat looks ok after a rather blotchy first and second coat. Just glad I went with the white first.

P2069267.JPG
P2069271.JPG

Last edited:
Really neat, Glen. Will have to try the white first, next time I paint with yellow. The yellow wings of the Racer took umteen coats, to get a decent finish.

Charles

Thanks guys. That white undercoat works good with red too. That's how I figured it out years ago. I was making the old Testor Gee Bee and had filed off the raised details so I sprayed on white to spot anything that still needed sanding. The plastic was a medium gray color and I hadn't sprayed white on the cowling so it turned out darker and a little blotchy. No mater how many coat of red I put on it it was still darker so I finally sprayed white, then red, and it matched.

With all on the yellow Glenn. Just curious as to why a lot of modelers here and in every other site and media use grey as a primer coat instead of white. I know some use it to check for seams(I use cheap silver craft paint and a 0 or smaller brush) but I would think that white would pop out any color as it does with red, yellow or orange.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back