**** DONE: 1/48 Fw 189-A2 – Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey, Vic,
That is looking damned good! There is a ton of glass and after reading your earlier "heads up" post, it looks like the eduard masks are a must for this one. I am not sure my eyes could take the strain of cutting tamiya masks out. I have printed off your heads up and slipped it into the box of my kit so I will have them handy when I start on mine.

Many thanks guys.

looks good Vic, but i am now sure there is far too much glass on that thing for me to build one !

Your right Karl, one hell of a lot of glass, I just hope it all comes out okay.

Hey, Vic,
That is looking damned good! There is a ton of glass and after reading your earlier "heads up" post, it looks like the eduard masks are a must for this one. I am not sure my eyes could take the strain of cutting tamiya masks out. I have printed off your heads up and slipped it into the box of my kit so I will have them handy when I start on mine.

The Eduard masks are easy Dale, under a magnifier I just lift a corner of these pre-cut masks with the sharp blade point of my scalpel, pull the mask off with a pair of tweezers, position and set using a smooth rounded bit of plastic to lightly bur down the edges. Even my old eyes coped with that, but I did get a crick in the neck!

Now I was going to add a picture update but the 'Manage Attachment' dropdown box process seems to be out of action. I can call the 'Manage Attachment' box, this drops down okay, as does the 'Add Files' dropdown box, both also look okay but when I then click on the 'Select Files' button in the 'Add Files' box, nothing happens.

I had this problem last night and still have it this morning. Anybody have any ideas.

For today's update, more placing of PE this time in the wheel wells, I was kind of glad I had this PE set as well because almost every panel has a huge mould ejection mark impressed into it. You can see there are more of these in the engine bay area and behind the wheel well.

20140910 1a.jpg

The same went for the top of the wheel well which is also the wing area between the engines and fuselage.

20140910 1b.jpg

I've also looked at every picture of this machine and not one has deep tread tyres, so a touch of Tamiya putty, a quick scrub back with nail polish remover to clean up. Will let it set overnight and possibly give them a second coat tomorrow before sanding back reasonably smooth.

20140910 1c.jpg

Last up the engines, which I made a start on today. They are quite detailed and should not need much more doing to them, though I do intent to take the option and have both of then on display.

20140910 1d.jpg

Edit: It all worked this time though one extra step was in the process.

For my second input today now I can update pics.

I had just started to drill out the exhaust pipes and remembered I had seen a pic of them somewhere, so hunted it out to see if the kit ones could be improved on. Some of you will know about that little extra detail. The second pic is a test pipe in comparison with the kit mould.

20140911 1a.jpg

20140911 1b.jpg

All four pipes cut drilled, walls thinned and in place.

20140911 1c.jpg

The wheels now sorted after a couple of coats of Tamiya putty, the right one having had a test paint just to see how they have come out. I'll clean up the rough bits tomorrow and give them a proper coat of tyre paint.

20140911 1d.jpg

Great detail work! This kit has lots of detail built in... I like the engines! What is your assessment of Great Wall Hobby? I'm pretty impressed with my Hobby Boss Dora. Some of these smaller companies put out great stuff!

Thanks for looking in folks and for the kind words.

Great detail work! This kit has lots of detail built in... I like the engines! What is your assessment of Great Wall Hobby? I'm pretty impressed with my Hobby Boss Dora. Some of these smaller companies put out great stuff!

The kit so far is okay John though it does have some very fragile pieces. I did make the statement earlier about the brittleness of the plastic which I now want to retract as it is not the plastic that a problem but the intensity of pieces on the sprue, many of the smaller parts are anchored on all four quarters which cannot be sniped out with conventional sprue snipers. I have been cutting each piece off gently with a small finger saw.

So to the build. Most of today has been spent on the undercarriage, as you can see from the first pic, the three main parts are well attached to the sprue and needed sawing off.

20140912 1a.jpg

I was also none too happy with the axle which looks to be very fragile and I know the diameter is considerably smaller than the wheel anchor points.

20140912 1b.jpg

So I decided to drill this out and make my own axle with a central sleeve. The second pic shows the assembly test fitted.

20140912 1c.jpg

20140912 1d.jpg

Last of all the engines have also received some paint, after a protective overcoat tomorrow, I'll look at adding some ignition wires.

20140912 1e.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Not a lot to report today, spent modelling time, about 4 hours just playing with ignition leads. There all in place, all 48 of them but I need to do a bit of tidy-up and add the engine mounts, then they'll be done.

20140913 1b.jpg

20140913 1a.jpg

Ahh,the old drill and drill and drill and drill and..... you get the idea. Looking good, Vic. hey, I ordered a set on Montex masks for the 187. Any idea how they stack up to eduards?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back