**** DONE: 1/48 P-40N RAAF - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have been a bizzy boy today.............. 2 colors!!!!!
I got the gray on the bottom, and the O.D. on top.
Tail white tomorrow. I've already painted the control surfaces.
I will be outing the dust guard on the tail wheel using some of my Crayola soft putty. Then attaching the fiddley bits.

Closer!

Attachments

• GB20-1d P-40-17a.jpg
    GB20-1d P-40-17a.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 75
  • GB20-1d P-40-17b.jpg
    GB20-1d P-40-17b.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 77
  • GB20-1d P-40-17c.jpg
    GB20-1d P-40-17c.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 71
  • GB20-1d P-40-17d.jpg
    GB20-1d P-40-17d.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 75
Why would you be thrashed. I'll be using Tamiya too.

Bill, I noticed you did not fill the little holes in front of and below the windscreen. Should done that before the green.

The bump is there in all the P-40N pics I have Bill but the hole should definitely be filled and made flush with the surrounding skin.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Now, today I went to my PMS meeting, this is what Annie refers to them as, (IPMS). There was a prize winning P-40 there, and the holes were in place! He had no idea what they were for, had no idea of ground wire or the floppy tubes. I think the tubes are retrofitted relief tubes!

However, the wire on top was speculated to be close in approach radio antena! Something to receive weak signals for approach to land. Make sense? Dunno, something to search more for.

Meanwhile, I remove the holes. I looked thru many ref books at the meeting today, and nada, not a one with inspection ports.

I sailor on.

I read somewhere Bill that it was a signal light on earlier versions. That's why the kit supplies a clear part to insert into the hole.

EDIT: Here's more. A picture and a quote of a quote from another site referring to a blue formation light on the fuselage

"P40E-1 aircraft had the provisions for identification lights. The first 800 P40E-1s, 41-24776 to 41-36353 (ET100-999) had the British type recognition lights. This consisted of one upper and one lower light and Formation lights, forward of the cockpit, on the fuselage sides. The remainder, 41-36354 to 41-36953 (EV100-699) had USAAF type recognition lights of one upper and three lower lights.
USAAF P40Es 40-358, 40-382 to 41-13599 had no lights, as didn't the first 400 P40N-1s."

IFF-RightFormationLight.jpg

Last edited:
Looking way nice, Bill. Guess that cheap rum and coke is working out for ya'. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back