**** DONE: 1/48 P-40N RAAF - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hmmmm is right. I do have several photos of his plane, but I wish I had something difinative for all this tangled wire.

Here's what I have from his own plane. I've inverted, then enhanced the contrast.

Looks to me like it could be the tail to post wire, then just off post to the fusey insulator to the radio set only. Maybe no diagonal wire from tail to insultor.

Then below looke like a bump for the wire antennae, and perhaps it does have the one on the top of the fuselage if no diagonal wire.

More like Wurgers second photo in post #136. This will be my choice for this build.

Attachments

• P02808_edited-1.jpg
    P02808_edited-1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 96
Done chewing......... doing now.

Sprayed the spinner white, and aux fuel tank grey. Will have to come up with a way to mask for the blue on the spinner. Fusey is next. Will spray the tail last since it will be easier to mask it off. Just have to pin the control surfaces so I can place them after painting.

I sailor on.

Thanks Charles......
Been doin a few Extra details. Spiffied up the tank and prop.

If you say something like "Overspray"? Yep, clearly visible in a fhoto of the plane when Waters was assigned the plane. I gues it was "who needs to mask the props, just Paint the spinner"!

The tube running the length of the tank and under is the vent. The little black

Attachments

• GB20-1d P-40-14b.jpg
    GB20-1d P-40-14b.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 77
  • GB20-1d P-40-14a.jpg
    GB20-1d P-40-14a.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 78
Spinner looks the biz Bill. Can't help but think that an uneducated judge would doc marks for the overspray so good to point it out.

I only noticed it because it was on a build review I found on the net, then went back and looked and slapped meslf on the forehead!

Then I looked at a large scale build, saw the tail wheel doors and syas "I can do that", so... fiddling with little things now.

Attachments

• GB20-1d P-40-15.jpg
    GB20-1d P-40-15.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 49
INFORMATION..............

The wire in front of the tail wheel is the Static Ground.......... from Pilots Manual!
The LUMP I point to in post 143 is the Hydraulic Vent............ from pilots manual.
The wire on top is still unknown.

I wasn't sure the bottom wire was an aerial. Now I know more. :D

Thanks fellas............. research and sharing is what it's all about. After all, we are Not competing, we are building to the best of our abilities, and trying desperatly to improve....... awwww.

Anyway, I did the final fitting of the ailerons this am. I learned a long time ago if you want to stick resin to styrene, besides super glue, is styrene attached to the resin With super glue. Then it becomes styrene to styrene. My head hurts. What I am meaning is, I superglued dots of styrene, scraps from my punch, to the ends of the ailerons, inset. Then filed them down till the aileron was a snug fit. I wll then use my Humbrol glue to attach them to the wing. Allows a little more time to locate and a very strong bond! I will put them in place After painting the wings.

Next elevators and rudder.

Attachments

• GB20-1d P-40-16.jpg
    GB20-1d P-40-16.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 92
Hey, Bill,
Looking very nice. I have a Mossie that I have separate resin control surfaces for. I was wondering about how to attach the surfaces. I like the idea you have there. Just wondering how I am gonna attach the elevators.

Thanks guys............ this is my modeling Hell, the starting painting bit....
I had to refill the seam betwenn the aft section and the fusey, just too much of a line to be happy with.

Hey, Bill,
Looking very nice. I have a Mossie that I have separate resin control surfaces for. I was wondering about how to attach the surfaces. I like the idea you have there. Just wondering how I am gonna attach the elevators.

My P-40 elevators were cut from the kit parts, so I can glue them with my Humbrol glue. When I use resin control surface parts I usualy use the thinnest of wires, well hidden of course, and CA glue both ends.

If the part attachment area is real close, and you cant use thick styrene just use the thinnest you can get, or put a thicker piece on with CA and shave, sand or file as thin as you need it. That is, only if you need positioning time you get with plastic glues. Or cannot get two flat surfaces that you need for CA. Hope this helps.

Gonna go for the bottom gray color today!!!!!!! Wish me luck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back