**** DONE: 1/48 Tamiya Heinkel He-219 WNr 290123 of 1/NJG 1 Nightfighter GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Vic and Glenn.

Below is the radio/radar stack with all the knobs, labels, and dials picked out based on references.

I have a personal debate on the go about the radar equipment as I suspect that what Tamiya have provided is incorrect based on the information I have at hand (thanks Karl for the photos). As best as I can tell, the radar equipment is on the top of the stack, with the later FuG-220 SN-2 box on the right, the one with the eye piece. To the left of that is what appears to me to be the FuG-212 C-1 set which for this model would not be correct as the antenna array for this is not featured in the kit nor on the reference photo of this particular aircraft. That antenna would be the smaller single post on the center of the nose that on early models was combined with the larger SN-2 "stag antlers" to enhance the short range detection capability of the aircraft. Later versions of the SN-2 had better short range capability and the C-1 was then deleted. However, an SN-2 array for rear detection was also introduced, which I suspect would have been an identical box with eye piece for this set in the place where the box on the left is. Several references feature two eyepieces and Tamiya have not provided this. Hence the debate. I may try to make an eye-piece and box out of resin, using the one provided as a master.

Attachments

• 101120 Radio Equip.jpg
    101120 Radio Equip.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 159
Good work Andy. These might help, showing SN-2 and Naxos in a Ju88.

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 187
  • A 001.jpg
    A 001.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 155
  • A 002.jpg
    A 002.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 158
Thanks everyone and thanks for the pics Terry.

I've decided to lop off the left radar set and make a resin duplicate of the piece on the right. It's the first time I'm making a resin part so we'll see how it goes. The stuff I'm using is clear (the only resin I could find) and takes a couple of days to fully harden so it'll be a while before I get some pics of this. The first pic below shows the boxes removed and the holes repaired with plastic card. The unit on the left had to be boxed in with card so I could make a mold of it.

Meantime, I set to work on the cockpit walls. Although I had painted these RLM 66 already, I decided that I didn't like the ejector pin marks so I ended up filling these in (final pic). The other marks will not be visible so I didn't bother with these.

Thanks for your support and comments guys.

Attachments

• 101120 Radar Removed.jpg
    101120 Radar Removed.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 150
  • 101120 Ejector Pins.jpg
    101120 Ejector Pins.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 144
Thanks to Kannonenvogel over at the Luftwaffe Experten Messageboard for these.

Any use Andy?

Also look here under "H": He219

Attachments

• 219A-0seat.jpg
    219A-0seat.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 219seat.jpg
    219seat.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Paul, excellent! Just what I was looking for on the seat!

And thanks for the cockpitinstrumente link but I've been through that already looking for radar equipment pics. Good site, although you can't save the pictures.

Jolly good, bloody sporting of you to say old chap!

Ironically, after having had Paul dig up the seat info for me, I looked closer and saw this in one of the references I have. (see red cirlcel):oops:

Well at least we're consistent!

My first atttemps at casting the second radar set was a bust. I think the mold was too soupy. I'm on take two now.

Attachments

• Footrest.jpg
    Footrest.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 191

Users who are viewing this thread

Back