**** DONE: 1/48 Tamiya Heinkel He-219 WNr 290123 of 1/NJG 1 Nightfighter GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the kind comments.

Below is a series of shots showing where we stand today. First up, we have the front seat installed in its final position. The cushions are made of Milliput painted to look like leather. Seat belts are Eduard PE. Once again the camera flash has revealed some needed touch-ups as there's a small gap in the black on the control column grip and the red ejection handle to the pilot's right, once neatly painted, must have dissolved a bit in CA glue accelerator as it looks a bit ragged. This will be easily fixed.

101128 Cockpit 1 oclock.jpg

Next two views show the instrument panel installed and the throttle quadrant highlighted. The slots in the quadrant were blackened with a 0.2mm felt pen. Also of note in this picture is the work on the pilot's headrest. As Terry pointed out earlier, the kit part was incorrectly shaped (compare now with the shot in post 35) and I fixed this by cutting off the headrest just below the leather cushion and making a curved piece of plate using card. This was then glued on so that the plate swept forward and up to the headrest, rather than up then forward as molded on the kit. To get the pilot and R/O seats to properly line up, I had to cut dowm the kit part representing the ejection mechanism under the two rounded "shoulders" on the tops of the seats. If I didn't do this, the pilot's seat sat too high and a large gap showed up where the shoulders should almost meet.

101128 Inst Panel.jpg

101128 Cockpit 10 oclock.jpg

Next we have the R/O's position. Once again, the seat cushion is molded of Milliput. Because this seat was shaped differently, I did not provide a cushion for the back rest. The edges of the seat and all the other corners received a drybrushed RLM 76 treatment to highlight the raised areas.

101128 Cockpit 5 oclock.jpg

The view of the pilot's seat from the rear quarter shows the modified foot rests made of copper wire.

101128 Cockpit 4 oclock.jpg

Below is the port side of the cockpit with some good kit-provided detail. However, I added the R/O's oxygen hose from copper wire. The wire bundle connecting the various boxes was made from a coil of extremely fine copper wire that I found inside a magnetic security access card. This coil is ideal for making these bundles. The bundle obviously still needs to be painted and the wires will be done in a dull yellow.

101128 Cockpit Port Wall.jpg

Next we have the starboard cockpit wall. Once again, the oxygen hose was added using copper wire. Here's one area that the kit disappoints as the area in the R/O's position on this side is completely void of any detail whatsoever. It appears from section drawings and a look at the Aires part for this area that there should be plenty of detail here. I will likely try to emulate what Aires have provided on their resin part based on photos but if anyone has a photo reference of this area they could share, that would help me. Also seen in this shot is another wire bundle I added under the electrical boxes just forward of the oxygen hose using the same material described above. It's still gray here but will be painted the same dull yellow as on the other side.

101128 Cockpit Starboard Wall.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for looking in and for your patience. It's a bit slow going here.

Last edited:
looking very attractive in that cockpit, am wondering though why two scope eye covers as there should only be one for the FuG 220d set mounting..... ?

Thanks guys.

looking very attractive in that cockpit, am wondering though why two scope eye covers as there should only be one for the FuG 220d set mounting..... ?

Erich, as I rationalized in post 65, one is for the forward view and the other for the rear. Although this model does not depict an A-7, cutaway drawings for the A-7 show two viewers. There are also two viewers shown on pictures of the R/O compartment on earlier models. However, for this case, the set on the left is for the Fug 212 which gave better short range detection than the early FuG 220 sets. Although I have no photographic evidence that this was the actual arrangement on this particular a/c, I went based on the theory that deletion of the FuG 212 set and introduction of the rear detection unit would have resulted in the arrangement used on the A-7.

most likely since the A/C you are going to depict is and was a survivor of the war it was fitted with the latter mark FuG 220d set and angled dipoles. The question is whether it was fitted with Rückswart (rear facing radar array? fitted on the end of the tail. Even in the A-7 series and quite limited it was not a standard fit one of the clear reasons the Uhu was blasted out of the skies by Mossies. even when fitted do not think there was a separate scope mounting and eye shade covers of rubber for this it was all involved with the FuG 220D set. the pics you have seen of double scopes is of the two different radar sets for close/and far reaching determination-really useless really the R/O was burdened enough as it was.

when I had contact with Mr. Dietz back in 99-2001 about this machine the A-2 (and yes you are correct on this variant) had a layer of US paint over the top of the original (2) different paint schemes. IR photography and sanding were to be used to get down to the original paint layers which I have seen through photos. Avionics including the FuG 220d were complete and I just noted the rear warning radar as well........I still await confirmation though, Tom seemed to have thought so at the time but could of been a simple rearward radio aerail as some were so fitted. A special canopy mounted Revi gunsight for the SM position was fitted. 1 2cm in each wing, 1 2cm in the outboard positions of the ventral tray no inner cannons applied, so we have a total of 4 20mm's forward mountings.

Thanks Erich. Actually, that's a good point as there's no evidence that this rig had the rear detection radar. It's not evident in the one reference pic, however, the angled dipoles are definitely there. I'd be interested to learn more from your contact - let me know what you hear.

As to the dual screens, here are the references I've been using:

First one is, I believe, an early 219 (I think it's an A-0) with the long range FuG 220 on the right and short range 212 on the left. The pic on the right shows the scope both sides. I attribute the different shapes to the 2 different screens.

Clipboard04.jpg

This next cutaway, supposedly of an A-5, also shows 2 screens, although the drawing shows not only the rear (cut off in this view) and forward facing
Fug 220, but it also has the central nose array for the FuG 212.

Cutaway 2.jpg

This final cutaway, supposedly an A-7, shows dual screens again, and features no Fug 212 array on the nose but the forward and rear-facing FuG 220 arrays.

FuG 220.jpg

However this turns out, I'm now committed as I'm not goint to tear this stuff apart again. Chalk it up to artistic license but I would be very interested in any more positive evidence on this topic.

ah the problem persists. upper right the drawing shows two different scope mountings but the photo on the upper left shows the twin scope box of the FuG 220d removed only the back electrical housing is in place..........well it is obvious in the drawing/photos. now my point :

now just let me mention then in 1945 you would have 1 eye shadow rubber covering for the twin scope of the 220d the rear ward radar would not have it's own box-scope mounting or at least I have never seen one present. the case is in fact for the Ju 88G-6 radar position of two members operating the FuG 350z Naxos and then the operator of the FuG 220d set-up, As far as I am aware the Naxos was never installed on the Uhu.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your kind comments and feedback. As you say Erich, the mystery continues but as far is this model goes, it will stay as is. If anything, maybe it will serve the purpose of generating more discussion and debate.

I wish I were near the NASM right now so I could take a peek into the cockpit of the specimen there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back