**** DONE: 1/48 Yak-1b Lilya Litviak, the VVS - Aircraft of the Aces GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I agree with all guys above. Applying of a gloss coat overall the decal sheet is the best way to prevent against cracking of markings.
Glad you coped with the problem Bill. Good job. :thumbright:

I'll be posting it as finished now. this is a picture finished in the small 1/48th scale display case made at work.

in my spare time.

Attachments

• in displ case.JPG
    in displ case.JPG
    311.6 KB · Views: 101
Nope.
It's a 4mm composite aluminum panel router cut and folded from one piece, sides, bottom and back. The cover is 4.5mm clear perspex with the edges routed down 2.5mm and scored with the router then heated and bent to fit. Just slides down over from the top. The prints are just paper from the printer. The whole thing is quite rigid. I score the panel 3.2mm deep with a 90 degree pointed bit so it folds 90. I'll post some pictures apart. Waite till I post my shelved cabinet!!!!!!

Now to posting "finished"!

I'd love to have access to equipment like that. 5tried once to build a box out of clear acrylic and was unable to cut the stuff without it cracking away from the scribe line.

I'd love to have access to equipment like that. 5tried once to build a box out of clear acrylic and was unable to cut the stuff without it cracking away from the scribe line.

If the right blade is used, a table saw works a treat. Just need the correct blade for acrylic. The blade needs to be high above the plastic so it is cutting on the down stroke and a feed rate slow enough to cut, but fast enough not to melt the plastic.

I am pretty fortunate to have the table available to me. I work it part time, when needed. Owner would rather not have someone full time on it, so I have access to it.

In the states we called it a "triple chip" blade. Carbide tips, one straight, one to left and one to right, and repeats. If you visit a saw shop, tell them you want to cut perspex, they should be able to guide you to the proper blade. Need to use it on a table saw tho. Although, a "Plastix" plastic shop will cut to size for you with clean gluable edges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back