**** DONE: 1/48 Yak-1b Lilya Litviak, the VVS - Aircraft of the Aces GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
Username: N4521U
First name: Bill
Category: Middle somewhere
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Accurate Miniatures
Model Type: Yak-1b
Aftermarket addons: Eduard Belts, and cockpit detail set.
Decals: Yes, Authentic Decals, will have to revere 32 to 23

I think it obvious I look outside the square. I don't know why I looked for a woman ace, but in doing so found Lilya. One of two Soviet women aces. Another interesting build tho. A bit of bio follows. My kit is in the post, the pictures below are stock photos to get me underway.

In September 1942 one squadron from Lilya's regiment was attached to the front at Stalingrad. Lilya, along with seven other female pilots, was included. On the 13th of September Litvyak scored her first victory, helping to shoot down a Ju-88 bomber. During the sortie, Lilya was wingman to the regimental commander and after spotting three Junkers Ju-88's, they attacked. The bombers dropped their bombs and scattered. Taking advantage of this, her leader shot down one Ju-88, while Lilya destroyed a second. Lilya then spotted her friend, Raya Belyaeva, engaged in a dogfight with a Messerschmitt Bf-109. Her comrade ran out of ammunition, so Lilya engaged the German fighter and shot it down. Tragically Lilya Litvyak was shot down at the age of 21. Lilya was a seasoned fighter ace and flight commander at the time of her death, with 12 personal kills and three shared kills.

Attachments

• 1a box.jpg
    1a box.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 339
  • 1b kit.jpg
    1b kit.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 306
  • 1c decals.jpg
    1c decals.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 314
  • 1d etched.jpg
    1d etched.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 302
  • 1e Lilya.JPG
    1e Lilya.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 800
  • 1f plane.jpg
    1f plane.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 389
Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice choice. Looking forward to your build.
BTW, her full name was Lidya Vladimirovna Litvyak, but was also now by her nickname Lilya.

Very nice choice. Looking forward to your build.
BTW, her full name was Lidya Vladimirovna Litvyak, but was also now by her nickname Lilya.

That I knew, I just wanted to keep it short. Can't explain why I misspelled her name in the title. Old timers disease. I also read somewhere they think it could have been Eric Hartmann that shot her down. Another account has 8 Fw's seeking her out. Interesting subject. I will try and do it justice.

Nice choice, I built this one there are 3 or 4 years ago with an error: wrong color regarding the green...Now, I know the AII green is wrong, it's normally AMT-4...

Regards
Steph

Last edited:
It's still in the bl**dy mail. Am Anxious to get this one going. Have ordered flaps for it that will probably get here before the kit.

Slow and methodical, not a phrase I use, unfortunately.
But I am learning to be a little more methodical!
Meaning finishing one thing before moving on to the next. Maybe.

Well........... it fiiiinally arrived.
I've gone after the cockpit first. I think the biggest lesson to learn is what order best suits the build. What the hell do you do first.
I didn't follow the PE directions mainly because I couldn;t see the advantage of removing some of the kit pieces for the PE things. So I am showing the sheet for the starboard side. Nothing extra for the stick and firewall. Did the instrument panel, forgot to take a picture. Will post it tomorrow.

Painting is next. If I can figure out the color!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 2a Ed c-pit.jpg
    2a Ed c-pit.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 190
  • 2b c-pit.jpg
    2b c-pit.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 192
  • 2c cockpit.jpg
    2c cockpit.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 2d radiator.jpg
    2d radiator.jpg