**** DONE: 1/48 Yak-1b Lilya Litviak, the VVS - Aircraft of the Aces GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lilya's plane didn't have the red spinner. Here is a website that has collected a few articles on the "white rose of Stalingrad" along with a few pictures of her plane. I don't get to visit this site much... to much going on where I am. :( Very glad that someone is doing this build. If I had more time, I would have built this one. :)

Women Aces

This website also mentions that there were four Soviet female aces although I'm not sure I would agree on one of them.

Last edited:
That link is where I first found "Lily". I also read the motif thing.
But do we know for sure what kind of lily? Cali Lily, Lily of the Nile, Tiger Lily, November Lily. So any Lily would be speculated.

Hello,
Effectively I read too somewhere that he name "Lily" was under the cockpit but no evidence of that. So, if I may, here my humble interpretation of her plane:
photo27.jpg
photo26.jpg

Problem with the green, it's too light...
I can't wait to see your finished model :)

Talked to my wife about Lily. She is Russian and believes much of the information in the article is correct. You're doing a fine job Bill. Keep it going and don't give up. :)

I've done some searching, but then who can believe the internet.

First site is color plates of FS colors...... best ref I have found to date, turns out FS24102 is the same as FS34102
FED-STD-595 Federal Standard 595 Color FS 34102

Next is FS to model paint chart....... can we trust it????
http://www.centennialipms.org/FSConversions.pdf

Next is a table of AMT colors as the first site with color swatches.
table of colors

So I am off the the LHS to get some paint to mix.
And......................... I may use a Giant Pond Lily under the bloody cockpit.....

would it have been called a cockpit with a woman flying it???
I digress, or would it be I degenerate?

Interesting that she was called the white rose of stalingrad. I read that the white flower on the side of her plane was often mistaken for a white rose rather than a lily.

Last edited:
Got my paint to mix, had XF61, just needed XF65. Mixed 2:1 61:65 and this is the result. Am pleased! Also found XF69, Nato Black!!!! How's about that!

*It looks pretty dark after looking at it for a while, but with something black over it, it does contrast. I had to think back to my signwriting days, if blue and yellow were mixed to make the green, then over time in the elements the blue would fade out and the color would lighten up quite This may explain some of the sample color pictures I've seen of recovered actual painted surfaces that are so light. Just a thought.

I once mixed green with red to make a brown background in a sign, 3 months later it was the ugliest green you ever seen!

Attachments

• 19 first color.jpg
    19 first color.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Another trick to know on models Bill is "scale effect" on colours. Smaller models tends to make colours seem darker so modellers often at a few drops of white to their colours to tone them down a tad.

Lilya's plane didn't have the red spinner. Here is a website that has collected a few articles on the "white rose of Stalingrad" along with a few pictures of her plane. I don't get to visit this site much... to much going on where I am. :( Very glad that someone is doing this build. If I had more time, I would have built this one. :)

Women Aces

That link is where I first found "Lily". I also read the motif thing.
But do we know for sure what kind of lily? Cali Lily, Lily of the Nile, Tiger Lily, November Lily. So any Lily would be speculated.

The main problem is theat there isn't a good shot of Litviak's Yak-1b plane. Most of profiles and well-known images of her plane, show the early variant of Yak-1 with yellow number'44'. Both Yak-1 and Yak-1b looked a little bit different though and we should remeber of that. The lack of pictures gives a modeller a possibility of a certain optional rendition for colours markings etc.... For the reason what kind of lily or rose is not a problem. Also the red tip of the spinner. These details can be omited really. The major thing is to follow the general rules of painting , etc... then. The nicely done model is the model which is clean finished. I can't see any major mistakes in the build Bill. You are going really well. So please, put the enjoyable building to its end. It will be really a nice effect. I'm sure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back