***DONE: Bell p-39N Airacobra 42-18393 "Millie" 350th FG 346th FS Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Whoa!!!!:shocked!: Exceptional work Pete. I keep looking at the job you fellas are doing on these models and it makes me want to get back into building them again but I got to many irons in the fire already. That is a great build Pete! I love that craft. :thumbright:

Okay guys, thanks for the kind words, starting to see the end here, and yes the next GB is soon so CR I've got to rap this one up!

The rudder fabric colour is an interesting feature, and I like the way is has come out on the model - the first pic is a blow up of 'S' on the flight line, so something similar I was after.

Over the last couple of days, I've been conducting experiments in DIY decals and it's been......interesting!

I managed to obtain an old and tragic Hasegawa P-39 from my brother for trialing size, colour etc and tried different methods. I think I have come up with a plan for success, so here's my first effort in picture 2.

Basically I thought I had the code C in the spares, but it turned out the wrong size and font, so I added that to the decal sheet I printed. I printed on white and added an Olive Drab border to assist in cutting out. A couple of trial runs on the tragic and then added them to old '393 for real.

You can see in the picture I have lots of spares - and that is a really, really good thing!:D

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• 346th code S resized.jpg
    346th code S resized.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 117
  • C decal  - resized.jpg
    C decal - resized.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 132
Looking good Pete and like others have mentioned I like the two tone paint on the fabric.Now if life will just ease up a bit I might get mine done was stenciling last night CYA Kevin

Cheers guys

More adventure in DIY decal manufacturing. Finally satisfied with "Millie" letters. These are printed on White and carefully trimmed to size. This is my fifth attempt, and I'm so glad that I made extras - many extras! 8) I've tried the "clear" decal paper, but this just does not look right for colour, no matter what I do, and might be useful for printing black lettering, but that's about all. Which brings a problem for the pilot and crew chief details. Anyway, I have one more thing to try for that, fingers crossed.

Here is where it's at today.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• Millie decal 1 - resized.jpg
    Millie decal 1 - resized.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 133

Users who are viewing this thread

Back