***DONE: Bell p-39N Airacobra 42-18393 "Millie" 350th FG 346th FS Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank You Daniel, Wayne and Dan.

Here is the P-39 with the tail band added. I've deliberated over the past few weeks on whether to add the wing bands, as this was a standard theater marking for P-39's and some types. The photos I have seen with the bands indicate that the 346th usually placed them right where the wing guns are, sometimes even painting the guns yellow also. I can see no sign of these on the photo of Millie, so you can see I have not added them.

Comments I received from Al indicate that it was possible that Millie acquired them after the picture was taken. He let me know that the colour of the wing bands were changed regularly, depending on the mission.

Another point is the black painted wing catwalks. These were painted on at the Bell factory to protect the wing surface and provide a non-slip surface. Millie has been repainted - maybe more than once, and looking at photos of other a/c, it's a sure bet that this area was painted OD. So that's how I'll leave it 8) Too easy!

I've attached a reference picture (courtesy of Keith Vizcarra - my thanks again!) of the wing bands on a 347th cobra.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• tail stripe - resized.jpg
    tail stripe - resized.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 42-9673 345th coded P 1.jpg
    42-9673 345th coded P 1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Thanks Wayne, Kevin, Terry, Dwight and Crimea_river!

I could be crying a river very soon actually!

I'm at a stage where I really have to sort out decals for Bugs and Millie. There are no commercial sets available that I am aware of, so this one is DIY as my "stretch" experience for this build.

I've found serials, "C" codes and national insignia in the spares box. I have inkjet decal paper and decal "bonder" by Testors. I have artwork.

I'm about to do a search for a good how-to article on DIY Decals, but if anyone has found a good one to refer me to, that would be great.

I also needed to do some more sleuthing to find out the details of the crew chief, painted below the feet of bugs. The photo details are almost impossible to make out clearly, and so some more "digging". Well that part was relatively easy with Al's memoirs available.

Turns out that Al's crew chief was Sgt Francis (Fran) Hunt, and yes, I'm lucky enough to be able to share a picture of Fran "on the job".

Another interesting factoid I found out was that Bell used a specific font for the yellow serial numbers that was different to all other manufacturers. There is another world of resource on the "flight sim" area of this and other like sites for designing "skins" for virtual P-39.s and other aircraft. Anyway, the characteristic "Bell" font is also attached for those interested.

Cheers for now.

Peter

Attachments

• decal Art - 42-18393 1.1 resized.jpg
    decal Art - 42-18393 1.1 resized.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Fran Hunt with p-39.jpg
    Fran Hunt with p-39.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 105
  • profile_p39_04.jpg
    profile_p39_04.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 118
Lovely paintjob Peter! Nice clean lines! :thumbleft:

I never really liked the P-39, but watching this one come together, it's growing on me.

Nice research work Peter. There's a marked difference in the Bell font for the numbers I notice.
I've only printed decals a couple of times, so the advice I can offer is minimal. But, bearing in mind that unless you have an ALPS printer, you won't be able to print anything white, unless onto white decal sheet of course. So image orientation has to be considered. For the Bugs Bunny logo for instance, it might be better to make the white areas of his chest, and elsewhere, a pale grey or pale blue, so as to obtain something other than a clear area on the finished decal. Also, i've foind that, when placing a decal onto a dark background, such as the Olive Drab, it's better to use a slightly darker shade of the required colour (example the yellow for the serial number), as the printer inks don't quite have the density when printed onto clear decal sheet. Thi will minimise the translucent appearance to an extent.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Keith - I like it as an great looking and unusual aircraft regardless of it's shortcomings as a combat aircraft. Will we see a P-39 appear from your workbench then?:)

Terry
I thought of one strategy for dealing with the white. That is producing a completely white decal - outline only - with a black border around the outside. Cut from the white paper just inside the black line. Then produce a colour decal - no white - from the clear decal paper and apply the colour decal over the white one.

What do you think - anybody tried this?

Second - is it possible to make two passes in an inkjet? This would increase the colour depth. Would it run? Could I seal it with decal bonder before the second pass? Alignment - an unknown factor.

Time to conduct some scientific experiments!

Cheers

Yep, Peter, that's the 'standard' way of getting the white - just have to be precise with the trimming and/or re-touching.
It's not to bad on linear subjects such as lettering, but can be a bit tricky to align with complex shapes, such as some nose art.
Passing the sheet through the printer twice will, in theory, give double density ink, but the problem is precision registration. It might be possible to obtain straight, tight edges, but doubtful on the average printer. That's the reason I suggested using a darker shade as, even on a lighter background, due to the clear film being printed on, there is no base density to aid the colour saturation of the printed image.
One thing that is a must though, is a good sealant. I've just ordered a dedicated acrylic spray decal sealant, as I found that Johnson's Klear (Future) isn't the best medium to use. It works, but is prone to lifting in some instances when using, for example, Micro Sol. It is slightly better after around three coats, allowing plenty of hardening time between coats, but still not really a satisfactory coating.

You never know Peter, I love the OD/Neutral Grey schemes. Not boring at all! Might try a VVS P-39, they look good with red stars.

Good look with the experiments, don't forget to take pics!

Yes, that'll be the same stuff Peter, similar to the Microscale product. Let me know how you get on, as I'm making some decals for Jan and myself at the moment. Although the white isn't a major issue on these sets, it will be required for some later decals, where I was going to use the clear over white option. Dang, if I was still in 'the trade', I could print as many decal sheets as I wanted!!

Thanks Keith - but I'm only going to take pics of successful attempts!:thumbleft: - okay?

This is my second OD/NG scheme in a row - so something different next time. I'm pushed a bit for time, but I did want do a NMF P-47 of the 350th as part of this GB. Have a Tamiya "D" 1/48 and the decals ready and waiting. What's the next GB? Heavy Hitters? Is there a thread with a definition? Would a D-Day striped rocket armed Tiffy qualify?

cheers

Peter

Last edited:
Nice clean lines on the 39 Pete, I can never get mine to look so good, it's going to be one fine Ac. Good luck with the decals to, I've got to give it to you, you're an adventurer
:hotsun: :hotsun:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back