**** DONE: Gotha 242 Glider Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Before I failed the flight physical, the plan was the fly either Harriers or A-10s. I can see the HS-129 making runs against
T-34's in the winter. I don't think I could paint the spinners though. Maybe after the B-25H.

DBII

The HS-129 or B-25H....(I 'm messing with you H man). I finished up the wing this morning. I need to do some touch up painting and then add the decals. I still need to add the rockets. The frame I built is to large for the scale. I will have to find a thinner wire and make it half as big.

I would like to do some weathering. The canvas on the glider should be pretty dusty. I need to tone down the color. I read on another thread that yellow was good for dirt. Please, what shade of yellow should I use for a wash? Should I use thinned out model paint or pick up another type of paint from the girlie side of the hobby store?

My next questions are about the finish. I have a nice flat finish at this time. I am painting with a brush. Do I need to put a gloss finish for the decals? Will a flat wash of yellow be enough to flatten to gloss or do I have to apply a gloss finish, matt finish and then the wash? I do not think that appling three coats on the paint wil look very good. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

DBII

For a dusty look, I'd use a mix of a light brown, with a touch of yellow and white, in matt paints. Try to get a sort of light greyish-yellow sand colour. It's probably better to lightly dry-brush this onto the areas required. A gloss coat is needed for the decals, but do the 'dust' first - more can be added if needed after the gloss coat. Finish off with a matt cleat coat. If you thin the clear matt slightly, you shouldn't have a problem, and if it's acrylic, it shouldn't really need thinning anyway. I've brush-painted the bigger percentage of my models this way since the late 1950's, and rarely have a problem, and still brush-paint some now, or at least parts of them.

thanks, sometimes I think I am just making a mess. I would like to get this completed soon so I can start the B-25H.

DBI

:)

Attachments

• 56-gotha242a-1a.jpg
    56-gotha242a-1a.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 122
Thanks for the photo Piet. There are several pictures at the beginnin gof the thread.I like this photo. Does anyone know what the strap is for on the tail?

DBII

It's a warning flag, or tape, attached to a control lock for the rudder. Today's versions, in English anyway, are normally red, or red and white striped, with the words 'Remove Before Flight' printed along the length. Commonly known as RBF tags.
If you look closely, you can see the shape of the lock and the ring handle.

I am a little slow, I saw the ring handle and thought, what is strapped down. I can see it now. My model is about as good as I am going to get it. I did some touch up work over the weekend. I am not happy with the paint job, but it is time to wrap it up. I hope to drop the film off for processing Wed. It looks better than my last entry. I have learned who to handle the seams so I am happy.

DBII

^*%, I forgot to put weight in the nose. I have a tail dragger! I will be wrapping this up tonight and hope to post photos on Wed.

DBII

^*%, I forgot to put weight in the nose. I have a tail dragger! I will be wrapping this up tonight and hope to post photos on Wed.

DBII

Oh man, that has to suck. For display purposes you can always use a clear thin piece of plastic under the rear of the fuselage to prop it up I guess. Looking forward to the pics. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back