**** DONE: Gotha 242 Glider Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DBII

Senior Master Sergeant
Oct 16, 2007
Conroe, Texas
I have been thinking of picking up a 1/72 Gotha 242 for the Grp Build. The only unit info I have been able to find is from the Russian front, 3. go -Staffel der Luftwaffe, reorgainized to 1. (Go)/VK (S) 1. Can anyone direct me to a site for research material or maybe a decent photo showing camo pattern used in the MTO?

DBII

I have been thinking of picking up a 1/72 Gotha 242 for the Grp Build. The only unit info I have been able to find is from the Russian front, 3. go -Staffel der Luftwaffe, reorgainized to 1. (Go)/VK (S) 1. Can anyone direct me to a site for research material or maybe a decent photo showing camo pattern used in the MTO?

DBII

You have peaked my intersts DBII on this one, Im willing to take a crack at this. Will see what I can dig up. :D

When I was a cadet, a classmate's father was a glider pilot during WWII. I do not remember what Division but he was as tough as they come. He was pissed that they did not get the press the jumpers did. I wish that I could remember some of the stories. When I saw the model ,I started thinking about Crete and my friend's father so I want to build a Gotha.

DBII

Try this guys. Answers part of the question. Now just need the units

German Gliders

:lol:
I was just going to post this very same link. Found this site few moments ago while searching the net for Go 242 info and pictures. Great find Paul. You were faster then me for a few minutes.

I stand corrected - Gotha 242 gliders were indeed used in MTO. Here is one picture I found, this Gotha Go 242 glider has been destroyed by British bombing raids on the airfield at Catania, during the invasion of Sicily of 1943:

go242_catania.jpg

Last edited:
:lol:
I was just going to post this very same link. Found this site few moments ago while searching the net for Go 242 info and pictures. Great find Paul. You were faster then me for a few minutes.

I stand corrected - Gotha 242 gliders were indeed used in MTO.

Thanks I think that was the easy part, finding pictures that identify a unit will be alot harder :)

Good site guys. Imagine being the pilot of the Me 323 knowing full well the Allied air force was in the area.

DBII

I still need to look up the Greece and Crete unit. I am finding more with BING than I did with GOOGLE. IMALKO I like the photo.

DBII

Ah! It's that one is it?!! I'll have a look in my 'Airborne' stuff, I just might have something. Can't promise, and the unit might not be identified, but there might be some markings and colours etc.

Yes, it is an Italeri in 1/72 scale. I would like to open up the back and load it with something along the lines of a pac howitzer. I am guessing that I will have to build up the inside. I read that there are color photos in Luftwaffe im Focus #13. I may order it from Squardon Books.

DBII

Last edited:
That does not surprise me. Thanks for checking. I am enjoying the research more than the actual build. That will change as my skills increase.

DBII

DBII

I reckon the research is always a great part of any build, especially about the history of the aircraft and the pilot. For me it means the end result is much more than a bit of plastic on the shelf, and as consequence I tend to put more in to the build.

Cheers

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back