**** DONE: Gotha 242 Glider Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I would have thought it would look simular to this. This is out of same book

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 513
Great information on the Go 242 by the way! Love all the Bund pictures. But the top picture from the Schiffer book doesn't show a Go 242 or a Go 244 for that matter. I believe it to be a Ju 88 fighter/night fighter. You were right about the gauges, waaaay too many for a glider, also it's too narrow and only has one set of rudder peddles. If find this problem with Schiffer books all the time, especially with the early ones. I have on that actually has a picture up-side down!

Take a look at this picture from the bund collection:

File:Bundesarchiv Bild 101I-332-3096-23, Russland, Go 242.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Notice the MG on the roof above the cockpit? Never saw that before. Anyone have a better picture of this B-Stand?

Regards, Capt. Vick!

PS Good luck with the build!

You're right Capt., that pic is from a JU88, without a doubt. My first reaction upon seeing it was 'What the...in a glider!!??' Then I looked again and realised somebody had got things wrong! It does happen quite a lot though, with many publishers. Pictures laterally reversed, upside down, allsorts. I've just received a copy of a book on the Beafighter, with a wonderful colour pic of a Beau on Malta, side on. At first I thought there was something different about the aircraft, as I couldn't see any exhausts, until I relaised that the pic had been laterally reversed, probably in error (ignorance?), which could lead the unwary into many pitfalls!

Thanks, great color shot. Can you make out the nose art?

DBII

The nose art is a stylised version of a normal ground-forces field arm of service indicator, for what seems to be towed wheeled transport. Can't make out enough of the rest to be certain if it is specific or not.

Thanks Microw, that pictures has lots of details. Maybe I should install the engines? Does anyone know what the black line is running across the passenger door and above the window?

...I would say it's a poorly painted/highlighted prop warming strip for when the door is opened and one is approaching from the front.

Or on second look, and don't discount this out of hand. could it possibly be the shadow of one of the prop blades. Makes more sense to me given the weird elongated shadow of the pitot tude and the engine cowling. And as I said as a warning it's way too subdued.

What do you guys think? Interesting....

Last edited:
It is running parallel to the wing shadow but I do not think that it is a shadow. It stops at the door. For it to be a shadow there would have to be a wire or cable running from top of the plane over to the wing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back