**** DONE: Gotha 242 Glider Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think it's a shadow of the blade tip. If you look at the pic in Post 47, the sun appears to be above or slightly behind the photographer.

I think the sun is to the front left, see shadow from the pitot tube. After seeing the photo, I agree the lines are shadows. I only noticed them in the drawings. Thanks again guys.

DBII

I started building last weekend. I did not know there would be so many windows to paint and the nose is all glass, tape and paint, tape and paint. The instructions shows the interior to be pale green. I used OD green since I had 3 bottles of the in the paint box. I dry brushed the inside with a little brown and black to scuff to plywood floor and a little silver on the tubular frames. I will be assembling the cockpit tonight and hope to have the wings and tail completed. If things go well, I can have the gilder painted this weekend. I want to try my $10 airbrush on it.

DBII

Wings and tail booms are done. I noticed in the photos that not all of the frames on the nose was painted. Good, I will not have to paint the remaining sections. I have not been able to find any unit information. Does anyone have any information for the unit markings of TD IU?

DBII

An easy question for the Master Model Makers, what is the best color to use for the desert dust. I think that I read a while back that yellow was good.

DBII

Hello DBII

I like Matt Mid Stone for a desert color. For the unit, I found a profile? Hope it helps. It's in German. But this site may help. Sorry I was looking at the Me-323 that's why it comes to that page. The picture has TD with the one broken in half. I'm guessing it was TD-UI ? Could TD IN, be from the same unit?

LuftArchiv.de - Das Archiv der Deutschen Luftwaffe

Attachments

• 2_4.jpg
    2_4.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 146
  • go-242_1.jpg
    go-242_1.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 131
  • Gotha.jpg
    Gotha.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 4876L.jpg
    4876L.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Thanks. The second shot looks like my model. The third image is from the box of the model. I was thinking about added the rockets assist to the model. There is a close up photo on the thread with the measurments. I would like to put a pac howitzer in the back but cannot find one. I did find a couple of motorcyles I could use instead.

DBII

I finished up the cockpit, tail booms and wings over the weekend. The interior is painted and the cargo deck is about done. The cockpit is two lawn chairs and a couple of pulleys. Not much for me to mess up. This is a fast build. It should be ready to paint next weekend. I am going to try and make the rocket assit device. I am not sure if I want to buy motorcyles for cargo. The kit has two motorcyles, one with a side car, and crew. For the same price, I can get a Bf109, White 13, in 1/72 scale. I will try and get a digital camera soon. For the cost of the film and processing for a couple of group builds, I can by a digital camera. I only have 14 shots left on the roll so I will not be able to post until the glider is finished.

DBII

Hello DBII

I like Matt Mid Stone for a desert color. For the unit, I found a profile? Hope it helps. It's in German. But this site may help. Sorry I was looking at the Me-323 that's why it comes to that page. The picture has TD with the one broken in half. I'm guessing it was TD-UI ? Could TD IN, be from the same unit?

LuftArchiv.de - Das Archiv der Deutschen Luftwaffe

That thing looks like an AC-119 Flying Boxcar

That why it looks so familar. So far the only units with glider's I could find information for was one in Russia and one used in Crete. I will post information soon.

DBII

I am just a little plane tease....:lol:

1st Assault Regt (Sturmregiment) was formed on 010141. The Go 242s were towed by Ju-52s from the 1st Air Landing Group (Luftlandegeschwaden) that was formed at the same time. All troops including the pilots were trained paratroopers. Other units would use troop trained only in entering and exiting the glider quickly. The 1st Assault Regt was under the control of the LW. The unit was used at both Crete and Corinth. During the Crete assault, 2 glider companies were used and the rest of the Regt were transported by Ju-52s. A total of 50 gliders were deployed. Each glider contained a fully armed combat group of 21 soldiers.

Glider production was increased for use in North Africa to transport supplies. Gliders were chosen because of the large payload to low fuel consumption ratio. Gliders could be used during the day, light and in bad weather and on unimproved or short runways. Gliders were also used in areas were supplies levels were critically low: Russia and the Balkans.

Glider Facts:
Ammunition and explosives were stored under the cockpit.
Pilot's seats were armored.
Pilots were issued parachutes.
Glider training was at Braunschweig-Waggum.
Go 244 had a range of 145 miles.
Go 242 were towed by He-111s and Ju-52s.
Tow cable lengths varied from 80 feet to 300 feet.
Go 242 could be fitted with an arrestor hook to shorten the landing.
Both the 242 and 244 could be armed. The 242 could have either one or two 7.9 mm machine guns on each side, a 7.9 mm machine gun dorsal position and another 7.9 mm machine gun in the tail. The 244 could carry the same with an additional four 7.9 mm machine guns in the nose and another four in the tail.

DBII

The He 111could tow 3 at a time, one on each wing and one from the tail. My guess is the one on the tail would get 300 feet. That is a long way to run the run the telephone line between birds

DBII

Users who are viewing this thread

Back