**** DONE: Gotha 242 Glider Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I loved the humor in the stories. I would like to find more. I have another of my endless questions for the master model makers (MMM). I was prefitting the cargo door when I noticed that there will be a two nasty seam visiable if the glider is displayed open. I will also be able to see the seam inside the cargo bay. Has anyone filled a seam inside a model? I was hoping the fill it with white glue and paint over it. The door is pyramid shaped and I will not be able to get my hand inside to use sandpaper.

DBII

Great link! Loved his Dad's and his comrades sense of humour. "The 490th became so adept at destroying these river crossings and railroad trestles that the unit adopted the nickname "The Burma Dental Clinic", with "Bridgework is our specialty" as its motto." :laughing6:

Nice build too.

Yep, that bit was great! The dickwit deserved it!
For the seam inside the fuselage, the simplest way would be to add a floor, and possibly a roof (if it can be seen) from plastic card, or even stiff card (as found on greetings cards.). Do the same inside the tailgate, maybe making it a strip over the joints, with some other 'ribs' running off at 90 degrees, to simulate framework.
If the fuselage hasn't been joined yet, just cut the card to fit, test fitting as you go, and cement to one half. Tack cement spots along the underside of the floor when you join and cement the fuselage halves, and press down, gaining access through the rear loading hatch, using a ruler, paint brush or other implement which will reach inside. Paint the floor before joining the fuselage halves of course!!

Thanks for the help. The kit comes with a floor for the cargo bay. I have not assembled the fuselage so this might be easy. Plastic card will work. The tubing inside the plane by be to thin to cut and glue into place. I can try and make the ribs by heating plastic and pulling. pay check came in today. If I have any extra money, I will look at getting a digital camera.

DBII

Sounds like you're sorted. Hope you can get the camera. Best thing I ever did, buying a digital - it's paid for itself eight times over in film and processing costs already, in seven months!

I'm playing with the rockets this week. The diameter is 17.8 cm and the length is 1.27 meters. I converted this to 2.5 mm and 1.77 cm. Am I even close to the correct size?

DBII

Thanks for the help. The kit comes with a floor for the cargo bay. I have not assembled the fuselage so this might be easy. Plastic card will work. The tubing inside the plane by be to thin to cut and glue into place. I can try and make the ribs by heating plastic and pulling. pay check came in today. If I have any extra money, I will look at getting a digital camera.

DBII

Not sure exactly what you're trying to do with the inside tubing, but you can either try some 0.5 mm evergreen (which scales to about 1.4 inches at full scale) or try some fishing line which you can get as thin as 0.008 inches (which scales to 0.58 inches at full scale).

I'm playing with the rockets this week. The diameter is 17.8 cm and the length is 1.27 meters. I converted this to 2.5 mm and 1.77 cm. Am I even close to the correct size?

DBII

If the full size measurements are right, the conversion looks dead on to me . :D

Last edited:
The caption for the photo earlier in this tread has the measurements. They also weigh 48 kilograms each. I think the rockets and bracing should be easy the make.

DBII

It is easy to miss. Once I get the rockets make, I will be able to guess a little better about the bracing. I was goning to open up the cargo door so I will have to have the rokets off to the side or in a truck.

I priced tubing at the model shop last night. It was going to cost $6.00 to get what I need. I am making the mounting bracket and frame out of differnent size paper clips and the rockets are plastic tubing from work. Total cost $0.00
A little white glue should hold it together. The best part is everthing is close to the correct size

DBII

Very slow day at work. I had my first try at the rockets and bracing using the tubing and paper clips at work. It looks ok. It will be better after a little paint and white glue. I may add paper clips for the tubing inside of the cargo area.

DBII

Last edited:
Remember, I am just a little plane tease....:lol: The apartment people wanted to spray the building for bugs several weeks ago and I had to pack up everything. I got around to unpacking last week. I was all ready to post pictures when I got hooked on B17's thread for his P-40. It inspired me to go back and get rid of the evil pin marks and seams. I went back and filled the pin marks over the weekend. I will sand them down tonight. I have spend a lot of time sanding this model. I am hoping for zero seams. I did picked up a sheet of plastic and cut a new ceiling for the cargo bay and cargo door to hide the interior seams. Everything was fine untill I had to cut out the opening for the large window. I am not sure how I will do it, it is off center. I am almost ready to install the wings and paint the glider. The local hobby store only has two of the three colors I need for the exterior. I will have to drive into Houston for the third.

I have the prototype of the rockets made. I figured out how to fold most of the frame out of one paperclip. All I have to do is sharpen the angles more. The rockets are cut from a coffee stir stick, prefect size. I am trying to make the round bottom of the rocket with putty and sand to shape. The nozzle will be cut from a paperclip painted black and inserted in to putty used to close off the other end. Any suggestions as to the color of the rockets? From the B&W photos, I would say white. I am also working on my What If plane. I have a couples of free nights this week to work on it. I hope to post the Gotha assembled and unpainted this week.

DBII

I have not had much free time the past couple of weeks. My side business is starting to grow. I was able to do a little work on Sunday and have a roll of film to drop off. I hope to have photos by the end of the week. I will try and enlarge the images before they are scan so you can see the weathering.

DBII

I have a roll of film ready to drop off but my second job is talking all of my time. My extra check came in Monday and I have tonight off. I will drop the film off and head to Hooter and wait for the pictures. :)
Life will be easier once I get a digital camera. The only problem area right now is that the tail booms are not a tight fit. I will have to use the putty.

DBII

Users who are viewing this thread

Back