Euro 2012 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hard to see it happens.. seems that they are completely disregarded by Lady Luck.
Also Sheva is playing with a bad knee and is not in condition to fight.
re the goal, the lineman is there just to watch this things, but too often they miss. I wonder why they stubbornly refuse to install a camera or a laser cell on the goal line.

re the goal, the lineman is there just to watch this things, but too often they miss. I wonder why they stubbornly refuse to install a camera or a laser cell on the goal line.
one name: Michel Platini.

Talking about frenchmen. The Swedes are beating France in the other game. Won't help anyone, but nice for the Swedes.

Last edited:
So it's England - Italy and Spain - France

Probably two good matches.

Key of the first match : will the British players be able to say the right things and send crazy-Balotelli out of his (weak) mind? :)
Unfortunately the guy understands english, so I believe that at the first provocation he will do something stupid like slapping somebody and get a red card.
Of course he can perfectly do that without being provoked, but maybe not in the first 15 minutes of the match!

Adler, what is this 'diving' obsession you have? I don't remember Italy ever scored on penalty or free-kick with germany, less than ever on something gained with a simulation. We actually had a (clear) penalty in favor in 1982 final, penalty that we promptly proceeded to waste. Besides, in that game there was no match, italians were in a state of grace.

:lol:

Ask anyone who does not live in Italy, and they will tell you that your team is known well for diving and lots of acting. They take it to an extreme. Your team would do well in Hollywood. Only Portugal is probably worse.

Ukraine never scored a goal as it was 1-0 to England.

Life aint fair eh? Well aint that the truth.

Lets see how far England can get...

The ball went behind the line, had a coffee then looked at watch and said 'well, it's late, let me go out for a drink'

Now, referee errors in football always happened, and England was robbed of a similar goal in 2010 (i think was Lampard): my comment was NOT against England.
In the long run for big teams episodes tend to compensate, while small teams can have their lifetime opportunity destroyed.
But seems fair to recognize that yesterday Ukraine was penalized by this error. Make 1-1 with 30 minutes to go and the match could have been very interesting for the qualification.

Life is seldom fair, but often time is a gentleman.

:lol:

Ask anyone who does not live in Italy, and they will tell you that your team is known well for diving and lots of acting. They take it to an extreme. Your team would do well in Hollywood. Only Portugal is probably worse.

Yeah, if it is not one thing is the other.
We were always accused to play only in defense, except that all winning teams in the last 30 years has copied our tactics, even Brazil has changed its defense strategy after Spain'82.
Now that the 'defense argument' cannot be raised anymore it's because Italians are acting, without any statistical evidence to support it.

Point is that too many supporters of teams that believe to be superior can hardly digest the fact that Italy has better results, looks like the fairytale of the Fox and the Grape... :)

Nobody instead remembers when Italy is blatantly robbed (and i mean really robbed, not victim of a bona-fide referee mistake) like in Korea (by a referee so honest that is now in the US prisons because caught smuggling 12 pounds of heroin at JFK airport) or at Euro 2004 when Denmark and Sweden cooked the 2-2 biscuit (the only possible result that would had qualified them at expense of Italy). That arrangement was so comically evident that the match could be projected as a parody movie.

(btw: i am professionally talking with people from all the world since 25 years, and when we talk/argue/yell about football this acting topic is very seldom brought up. My neighbor is Brazilian and we play 'enemies' at every world championship, but again he never uses 'acting' as an argument. He normally uses the 'F....g defenders and destroyers of good futbol' topic and I counter with the classic 'silly dancers unable to understand that what counts is not the goals you score but the difference between yours and those of the other team')

C'mon, foot ball is a game, and this discussions are a game in the game...

I enjoy to have football discussions, arguments and even exchange insults talking football, it's a game I played with fun for many years.
The secret is to always remember we are playing a game and to maintain a good level of self-deprecation.

Think, i am a Juventus supporter that for over 20 years frequented the pub where the local FC Inter club is based (the power of the 'girl's treasure' overwhelms football). I can tell you that the fights were quite fierce and unfair... but always ended in drinks and laughters.

So said, my next provocation statement in this pub-discussion is:
" oh yeah? so you say we are playing actors? Then I hope we'll win at last minute with a fake penalty procured with a royal simulation, so you can say you were right!"

Point is I don't believe it will happen, because as i said before i think Italy will be wiped out long before the finals. And of course because Italian players DON'T act :)

Last edited:
One thing is right, Parmigiano, defence gives you winners, offence gives you loosers. The Dutch are known for attacking and they never win (apart from one time in 1988). Germany used to defend and win, so did the Italians. But of course Italians act, they are Italian. Also the Germans act, I know this little final in 1974 where the Germans stole a penalty by acting. The word for a stolen penalty by acting is not a german word for nothing, it's called a schwalbe.

Dutch players are really annoying now, blaming everyone except themselves. Glad they are home, so we can see some proper football instead of these wining babies.

... can you imagine if they would also let us play mandolin? Ticket price would be double: match plus review :)

Seriously, there is real logic behind the concept of defense: scoring a point is extremely difficult in football, specially when your opponent can dedicate all resources to defend.
So it is vital to not have this handicap and protect yourself first.

But that's the beauty of the game: playing 'better' and 'more' is not enough to win. Five minutes can be enough to turn upside down a match, and (whitin a certain proportion, of course) no match is doomed or already won.
Unless of course you have a team so much superior to others that you can play the way you want disregarding the optimization of resources (think of Ajax in the '70, Milan in the '90, Brazil in some world cup and few others)

I've not seen Holland play this time, but is not unusual that after a good tournement (the 2010 worldcup) a team kind of 'implodes'. Germany and Brazil are the only ones who historically are consistently strong in almost every occasion, all other teams alternates between good exploits and pitiful others.
Perhaps Spain with this team has the right 'critical mass' of talents to endure more than 3-4 years. But in my opinion they lack a real goleador like a Rummenigge a VanBasten or even a Ibrahimovich.

Last edited:
One thing is right, Parmigiano, defence gives you winners, offence gives you loosers. The Dutch are known for attacking and they never win (apart from one time in 1988). Germany used to defend and win, so did the Italians. But of course Italians act, they are Italian. Also the Germans act, I know this little final in 1974 where the Germans stole a penalty by acting. The word for a stolen penalty by acting is not a german word for nothing, it's called a schwalbe.

Dutch players are really annoying now, blaming everyone except themselves. Glad they are home, so we can see some proper football instead of these wining babies.

All teams do, some are just worse than others...

Portugal and the team that shall not be named are the worst...:)

Back in the day....Europe went to war to decide the worth of nations.

Now it is done with football. Progress.

England for the win! I predict a victory over Italy with Wayne Rooney sent off for having stupid hair.

I too hope that England wins, that way we can hopefully have a good classic Germany/England game. Of course Germany has to beat Greece first.

If England beats Italy however, I don't think Rooney will be a factor. I don't have faith in him for some reason.

The unnominables are happy that everybody is hooting against them... It's a matter of kabala and scaramanzia.

The evil supporter of unnominables has looked at the calendar and found that in the extremely unlikely case that they will pass the turn with England they have to face Germany, so is also worried because:
a - the string of victories with Germany is too long, and it's nearly time that the tide changes.
b - there will be another civil war in the family. My wife is German and has 2 brothers and 2 sisters that will all be on my neck. The brothers are much bigger than me.
Plus we have tradition to bet on the game: last time i bet against Italy and I lost, so now I owe my wife a dinner in a good restaurant. At least this is what i think, she claims I owe her a Porsche 911.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back