P-47D-25-RE, HV-A Lt. Col. Francis Gabreski June 1944 Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

At this moment he's working on scale spark plugs, although he apparently had a bit of a problem with one magneto, getting the timing right for the firing order. BTW, he's already perfected the synthetic, plastic based oil and lubricants to go in it.....

Still debating on details for the engine.....have fitted the prop assembly together and finished all the sanding....so ready to paint!

Attachments

• Prop  Spinner_9376.JPG
    Prop Spinner_9376.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 137
Thanks Fellas....:D

Been working on my version of 'Green' for the cockpit....this 'Bronze Green' versus 'Dark Dull Green' it would seem that they are similar and the general concensus is they were a dark shade of green,

Detail and Scale shows this Green to have a tinge of blue to it so I'm gonna go with this for my bird....just need to try a couple more trial mixes to get a comfortable shade that i'm happy with...

in the mean time determined that an ejector pin mark in the lower cowl was going to be a visible problem...so out came the superglue to fill the hole...

Attachments

• Lower Section Cowl pin mark__9379.JPG
    Lower Section Cowl pin mark__9379.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 156
  • Lower Section Cowl pin mark_9388.JPG
    Lower Section Cowl pin mark_9388.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 154
  • Lower Section Cowl pin mark filled_9392.JPG
    Lower Section Cowl pin mark filled_9392.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Been working on my version of 'Green' for the cockpit....this 'Bronze Green' versus 'Dark Dull Green' it would seem that they are similar and the general concensus is they were a dark shade of green,

Detail and Scale shows this Green to have a tinge of blue to it so I'm gonna go with this for my bird....just need to try a couple more trial mixes to get a comfortable shade that i'm happy with.....

As I mentioned in Dan's thread Wayne, read once in an article of a P-47 (I think) under restoration many years ago, which was found to have 8 different shades of Zinc chromate throughout...IMO go with what you think looks best!

As I mentioned in Dan's thread Wayne, read once in an article of a P-47 (I think) under restoration many years ago, which was found to have 8 different shades of Zinc chromate throughout...IMO go with what you think looks best!

Yeah, I noticed in one cockpit shot there were a few different shades of Green...

Your scratch and details on the pit are to your usual standards Wayne :thumbleft: I have seen some builds of that BGreen pits looks pretty sharp and different.Have a look over at LSP for a Brit goes by Fozzie.AC mechanic I think did the most realistic engine and weathering on one of the 1/24 Vintage kits I have seen yet looks frigg'in real.Cheers

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=24247&hl=fozzie

Last edited:
Nice link mate, thanks...

some initial work on the instrument panel....

Attachments

• Instrument Panel_9491.JPG
    Instrument Panel_9491.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 149
  • Instrument Panel_9494.JPG
    Instrument Panel_9494.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 145
  • Instrument Panel_9498.JPG
    Instrument Panel_9498.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 153
happy0034.gif

Great stuff Wayne, I take it that after the instruments get a darker face paint (was it a matt black), you did a gentle dry brush. But what's the secret to the glass effect (shiny faces).

:hotsun: :hotsun:

happy0034.gif

Great stuff Wayne, I take it that after the instruments get a darker face paint (was it a matt black), you did a gentle dry brush. But what's the secret to the glass effect (shiny faces).

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Matt Black, then light grey dry brush, Silver pencil and white paint on a fine brush...then a small drop of Clear Gloss in each Dial....Looks good but I'm considering chopping up the decal dials and applying them...for a better look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back