P-47D-25-RE, HV-A Lt. Col. Francis Gabreski June 1944 Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Went with the decal dials for the instrument panel....got about two thirds of them done today, will try to get the rest done tomorrow....so pics will happen whether I get the others on or not....stay tuned!:D

Ok, the instrument panel with the decals....looks better!

Attachments

• Instrument Panel Decals_9503.JPG
    Instrument Panel Decals_9503.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 144
  • Instrument Panel Decals_9501.JPG
    Instrument Panel Decals_9501.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 131
You know, I keep thinking I want to get back into building models again and then I see work like this and I realize that I would be frustrated to no end. Fabulous work Wayne. Keep it up sir.:thumbright: :notworthy:

Picky b@stards.....:lol::lol:

Ok here is that shot of the Green over the cockpit parts, green is actually darker with a slight blue tint...will start further detail painting of them tomorrow...

Second image Ref : Detail and Scale P-47 Thunderbolt

Attachments

• Cockpit-Dark Dull Green_9523.JPG
    Cockpit-Dark Dull Green_9523.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Cockpit-Dark Dull Green.jpg
    Cockpit-Dark Dull Green.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
I'm throwing myself into this group build, kits w/aftermarket decals were outside budget ay my LHS. Bad news for me, I'm throwing in a P-47 to be compared to a couple other skilled builders:oops:.... the good news is, I can piggyback some of the color research done by you guys:D. Model #2 has been scrubbed and is drying, ready to start dry fitting tonight.

Another rookie question. I would assume planes got a fresh paint job before D-Day so chipping would be minimal to non-existent, correct? Thanks.

Attachments

• bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 160
No fresh paints jobs, apart from the temporary AEAF stripes Eric. Although those aircarft which were in NMF and would be based on, or use forward strips in France after the Invasion did recieve a coat of Olive Drab or RAF Dark Green on the upper surfaces. Check your reference pics, but I think that particular bird started out in Olive Drab/Neutral grey, so would be weathered and worn accordingly. If you can get hold of a copy, 'Duxford Eagles' is an excellent reference book for the 78th FG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back