1/72 Academy B 17 F 'Memphis Belle' 324th BS/91st AF ,June 1943 Bassingbourn/England

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great set of pics there Paul. I thought I'd seen just about all the photos of the 'Belle, but there were only two out of all those I'd seen before! They were the ones of the departure ceremony in England (With the General at the microphone). Many captions to this pic state that it was taken at the 'Belle's base at Bassingbourn (now an Army camp), but it was actually at Bovingdon, near Hemel Hempstead in Hertforshire, England. I've been on the now derelict airfield a few times, the main Technical Site of which is now a prison (!), and it's where some well-known movies were made, including 'The War Lover', '633 Squadron', and 'Hannover Street'.

Good choice. I once built that bomber as a kid. Would love to see how this one turns out. Does the decals on this kit show the nose art with different colors on the girl's dress. When I read about the Memphis Bell, I learned that one dress was red and the other blue because the artist ran out of red paint. I think you can see the difference in hue on the black and white photos above.

Maybe this website will help some.

Memphis Belle - a virtual Tour

They have several pictures of the Memphis Belle to include some inside shots.

Attachments

• noseart-left.jpg
    noseart-left.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 170
  • noseart-right.jpg
    noseart-right.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 172
Good choice. I once built that bomber as a kid. Would love to see how this one turns out. Does the decals on this kit show the nose art with different colors on the girl's dress. When I read about the Memphis Bell, I learned that one dress was red and the other blue because the artist ran out of red paint. I think you can see the difference in hue on the black and white photos above.

Ya it does , thanks for the pics/links!

Gonna have to start on this one soon 8)

Jesus Wayne I'm outta thinners mate !

Add to that a 103 hour fortnight at work

Kinda hard to squeeze in any modelling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back