1/72 B-26B-50MA, "Victory Read", 394th Bomb Grp, 584th Bomb Sqd (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep, and to fit nicely! The shape and proportions of the wing would have meant the stripes looking 'diffrent', but the main reason was, as you say, to avoid a lengthy job of rebalancing each aileron, on each aircraft, in a very short space of time.
Note also that, whenever possible, B26's were parked with their props equally spaced. That is, in the form of a 'X', and this was done, if neccessary, by the ground crew 'pulling through' each prop. This was because of the possibility of tyre pressure loss, sudden tyre deflation, or puncture (common on rough fields, even UK airfields, where the 'hard' surfaces were sometimes of poor quality mixes of concrete and wood chippings, with sharp flint or spar content). If the main wheel tyres deflated, and the props blades were vertical, the aircraft settled its full weight on that prop, at best seriously damaging the gear box and prop shaft, as well as the prop, and at worst, shock-loading and virtually wrecking the engine(s).

Yep, and to fit nicely! The shape and proportions of the wing would have meant the stripes looking 'diffrent', but the main reason was, as you say, to avoid a lengthy job of rebalancing each aileron, on each aircraft, in a very short space of time.
Note also that, whenever possible, B26's were parked with their props equally spaced. That is, in the form of a 'X', and this was done, if neccessary, by the ground crew 'pulling through' each prop. This was because of the possibility of tyre pressure loss, sudden tyre deflation, or puncture (common on rough fields, even UK airfields, where the 'hard' surfaces were sometimes of poor quality mixes of concrete and wood chippings, with sharp flint or spar content). If the main wheel tyres deflated, and the props blades were vertical, the aircraft settled its full weight on that prop, at best seriously damaging the gear box and prop shaft, as well as the prop, and at worst, shock-loading and virtually wrecking the engine(s).

And that 18 inch stripe works out to be exactly 1/4 inch (just about 6 mm) at 1/72 scale - the same size as the Tamiya tape! That's going to make things a bit easier. :)

I'm going to have to remember that when I position the props. They'll probably be set to rotate freely so that shouldn't be an issue. :)

Last edited:
:lol: Love the nose art!

Attachments

• b26victoryread.jpg
    b26victoryread.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 386
:lol: Love the nose art!

:lol: Wait until you see some of the nose art I have for my B-17. :lol:

I ordered the paints for the B-26 today. I figured I would use the time it takes for them to arrive to take a small break. Not sure that's a great idea considering how I've blown the deadlings on two GB already but what the heck. :lol:

Time to start building Old Boy the other build is over and time to start crack'in on this one.:) Cheers Kevin

Time to start building Old Boy the other build is over and time to start crack'in on this one.:) Cheers Kevin

:lol: I should start working on it sometime the middle of this coming week (around the 10th or so). I'm so close to having that Caproni from the HH GB done that I don't want to set it aside. Plus I'm FINALLY finishing up all the loose ends on the Hs 123 from the MTO group build as well.

Sorry but this build is not going to be finished let alone even get started.

I badly sprained my wrist a couple of days ago and after testing out what I can and can't do at the present, I'm decided that I can't tackle all of the PE that this build requires. So rather than make a hash of things, I am simply going to box everything up and call it quits on this one. It's doubtful I would gotten it done anyway, but the sprain clinches the deal.

If the mods want to leave this thread up I would appreciate it - the background research is worth saving. :)

Bl**dy shame mate! I hope your wrist heals soon, I know exactly what it's like trying to work with knackered hands and wrists! Good idea to leave it for now though, no point spoiling it just for the sake of a GB. Look forward to seeing it eventually though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back