Avenger II, 857 Squadron, FAA, HMS Indomitable, December 1944, Group Build.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much indeed guys, it's very much appreciated.
Not sure about it being one of the best to date Chris, there are areas which I think I could have done better, but I must admit, this is the first kit I've done that has been so much to scale, that some 'normal' modelling techniques need to be adjusted to get the best result. Had I thought it through a little more, the bomb bay doors would be better. The AM version of the instructions are very helpful,with little cautionary notes here and there, but I personally think the bay door mounts/actuators, and the doors, should be assembled and installed in a different sequence. Still, it's a beaut of a kit, and I'm still awed by the attention to scale detail - marvellous!
Should have some more done, with some pics, tonight.

I'd just got to the end of a detailed post, in order to help Cory, attached the last pic, was about to press the 'Post' button, and I lost connection!! B*ll*cks and *£@*£!@* holes!
So, this is the rather p***ed off short version!
I'm later than intended getting these pics up, due to the results of what's shown in PIC 1.
About 9 last night, this happened, and I thought it was a stolen and crashed car, as no-one was around. After the Police had taken statements etc from me, the owner was traced and turned up at my house. It seems this young chap has just moved into the street (on a steep hill). Had left his car parked outside his house 3 hours previously, and was shocked to learn from the Police it had been involved in an 'accident'!
The brake had either slipped or snapped, car rolled down hill, only stopping when it met resistance - my bl**dy Jeep!
Damage aint too bad, and it's being sorted, so, back to the thread.
I've altered the radio mast, moving it further back, and positioning it vertically, as the Avenger I, as per the kit, had a raked mast, just behind the pilot's cockpit. When doing this, I discovered what I thought was a fault, as the canopy top rail was about 1mm too long, and overlapped the windscreen. Theres a notch at the front lower end, to fit the screen, which was nowhere near where it should be!
PIC 2 shows the problem.
Turns out I'd f***ed up, and positioned, and glued, the canopy too far forward. Not all my fault, as the forward lower edge of the canopy is stepped, and coresponds to the shape of the cockpit canopy rails moulded onto the fuselage, which led me to think that's the way it should be fitted.
Wrong!
Cory please note, the rear of the main canopy, at the bottom, should match up with the point where the turret aperture curves up to the cockpit sill, and the rear vertical frame of the observer's canopy hatch, should align with the transparent-topped rear bulkhead! Sorry, couldn't get the right angle to get a clear, explanatory pic.
Rather than try to prise off the canopy, with the resultant damage to the surrounding paint and clear coat finish, and possible irepairable damage to the canopy itself, I decided to accept the small gap, and removed about 1 mm from the front of the cockpit canopy top rail.
PIC 3 shows the area marked ready for surgery.
The radio mast was cut off at an angle, to allow it to mate-up squarely, and the anti-collision beacon was trimmed flat, and used as the mounting plate for the re-positioned mast, as it's in exactly the right location.
PICs 4 and 5 show the mast removed, the trimmed and sanded beacon, and the re-positioned mast in place, mounted vertically.
PIC 6 shows the completed unit fixed to the model, the forward joint being made, and filled, with Micro Kristal Klear.
Cory, you don't need to do this, as yours is an Avenger I, and the kit part is correct - just get the canopy in the right place!!
Whilst this was setting, the landing gear legs were cleaned up, removing some moulding seams, and the tie-down lugs drilled out. After attaching the torque links, the legs were painted, and the kit decals added. The treaded tyres were used, and again moulding seams were removed, and 'flats' sanded onto each tyre, before being painted in a mix of very dark grey with a touch of Dark Earth, to achieve a rubber look. When dry, the tread area was dry brushed in a slightly lighter shade. The wheel rims were first painted matt black, then, when dry, given a wash ofvery light grey. After glueing the wheel rim halves to the tyres, yellow 'slip' marks were painted on, using a 5/0 brush.
The prop has been painted and decalled, with the hub in a dull metal shade, and the boss in natural aluminium. The trailing edge and tip of each blade was lightly dry-brushed in a dull metallic colour, to create the appearnce of paint wear - it's the back, and trailing edge of the prop that gets the most hammer from the elements and ground dust, not the leading edge as many modellers portray.
The next stage is to assemble and fit the main landing gear, then work out in which order to fit the ventral gun, window and tail wheel, so as to avoid damage to either whilst manipulating them into place. Once this is done, it'll be time to start dressing out the bomb bay, before moving on to some detail work.
I should have some more pics soon, that is, unless a wagon or car come crashing through my front wall!
Thanks again for your continued interest,
Terry.

Attachments

• PTO Build 412.jpg
    PTO Build 412.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 93
  • PTO Build 417.jpg
    PTO Build 417.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 101
  • PTO Build 419.jpg
    PTO Build 419.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 101
  • PTO Build 427.jpg
    PTO Build 427.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 94
  • PTO Build 428.jpg
    PTO Build 428.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 100
  • PTO Build 441.jpg
    PTO Build 441.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 96
  • PTO Build 429.jpg
    PTO Build 429.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 92
Thanks lads, not far to go, maybe another 20 hours or so, plus a couple of figures, base and accessories. Then it's Hunter time, and finish some of those 'Very Nearly Almost Finished ' models that have only been waiting between 1 and 10 years!!

With all here Terry. Congrats on the well-dione surgery. :p

Thanks very much guys. Yes Charles, he's insured, and will cover the damage. Might work out to my advantage, as there was another gouge on the rear bumper, where someone scaped it previouly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dan, I think they'll both turn out OK in the end!
The Avenger is in the final stages now, with the landing gear in place, the ventral window fitted, and the landing lamps and prop in place. When I fitted the ventral window, the gun fell inside, and I thought it had got lodged somewhere! B*ll*cks thought I, I'll have to scratch build a .30 cal Browning, or a barrel at least!
Fortunately, the internal rattling ceased, and I actually found the gun, just before the Carpet Monster gobbled it up!
So, Plan B, I'll make a deck-crew figure, carrying the gun to the rear entrance hatch, ready for mounting!
PIC 1 shows the landing gear in place, just awaiting a slight re-touching of the paintwork here and there.The exhausts are yet to be fitted, and the area around them suitably stained. Surprisingly, the kit's exhausts are rather 'chunky' in the internal areas, so I'll be making some from the tubing used to cover the end of a paint brush.
PIC 2 shows the kit's brake line, bent into position and glued to the wheel hub. Cory please note, this needs gentle pressure, then a spot of superglue to hold it in place. Also, the gear doors are a bit fiddly, and if the main gear legs are not exactly at the correct angle, you might have problems lining up the doors to the legs. It's best to fit the doors before the main legs are fully set, same with the bracing struts and retraction jacks.
PIC 3 is the prop in place, having been carefully painted and weathered.
PIC 4 is how the model is to date, with the bombs painted and ready to be either fitted into the bomb bay, or suspended by winch cable, with one going onto a bomb cart.
Once this is done, it's a case of attending to all the small detail work, fitting items such as the sliding canopies and antennas etc, then some final weathering and touch up. The model will then be placed on a simple diorama base, showing part of the deck of H.M.S. Indomitable, with armourers loading the bombs, and that rogue Browning machine gun! That is, once I've made the base and converted some Panzer servicing crew to Pacific matelots!

Attachments

• PTO Build 444.jpg
    PTO Build 444.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 114
  • PTO Build 448.jpg
    PTO Build 448.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 115
  • PTO Build 461.jpg
    PTO Build 461.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 118
  • PTO Build 454.jpg
    PTO Build 454.jpg