**** DONE: 1/48 Consolidated PBY-5 Catalina Commonwealth GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks gentlemen. Not much going on to show, to busy adding internal ribbing and making walkways at the moment. Hope to get these finished tonight and then back to some more detailed fiddly bits.

It just gets to be a good time.......

surprising oneself at what we are capable of......... eh?

Nice seats mate!

Thanks Bill, Bill and Glenn. Did a bit of test fitting today with the aid of Blu-tack and rubber bands.

101223-1A.jpg

101223-1B.jpg

101223-1C.jpg

These three shots show the walkways fitted within the belly from behind the cockpit down to the rear side blisters.

101223-1D.jpg

101223-1E.jpg

Here is the starboard side showing the navigation area and the rear bunk bed. I also decided to fit a false internal wall where I have patched in the area that would have housed the undercarriage.

Thanks Andy and Terry.

Like you guys, not too much time has been lost over the last few days. I've made a few more bits to fit within the 'Cat' and improved on others.

Now it's down to some serious masking on all the clear bits as most of them will have to be positioned before the two halves come together and that also means being in place while the inside is being sprayed.

Question for our resident colour expert Terry, I think you have gone over this before but being a Humbrol man you may have a better idea of what to do in respect of my making up a Chrome Yellow. I was thinking of using Humbrol 78 Cockpit Green but believe that it would be more authentic if treated to give it the Chrome Yellow look. What say you.

101227-1A.jpg

As for my update pic's, this one is a selection of some of the bits being added within the fuselage.

101227-1B.jpg

In breakdown we have the tool box with an extinguisher in the foreground right and a bit of radio equipment left.

101227-1C.jpg

The main radio bits, the large cabinet sits to the left of the radio operator with the smaller bits on a shelf overhead or on the desck.

101227-1D.jpg

101227-1E.jpg

Pic 1. This is the radio operators desk. Pic 2. Navigators desk with its swivel chair and the radio mans chair to the left.

101227-1F.jpg

Next up is part of the bomb aimers gear with the anchor hatch cover in the foreground.

101227-1G.jpg

This little gismo is the APU which sits in the mid section on the stbd side very close to the crews bunks.

101227-1H.jpg

And these are the tree crew bunks that are to the rear of the mid section just before the side blister guns.

Last edited:
Bl**dy hell Vic! Stupendous scratch-building work, really excellent mate! You're certainly not hanging back on this one, but then, it's one of those which cries out for some interior detail.
As for the interior colours, I don't know that much about the Cat, and the interiors of current preserved ones can't be used as an example, as they're often in 'modern' paint finishes. But those period pics I've seen appear to be in either Interior Green, or Bronze Green, if American built, with 'non crew' areas in Zinc Chromate (yellow).
If they were built under licence, then I'd hazard a guess at Cockpit Green (Humbrol 78 with a spot of white, for scale appearance). The Russian-built examples seemed to be in a grey with a hint of blue.
I normally mix Interior Green from Humbrol Dark Green 30 with yellow, and for Bronze Green, add a small touch of black and a hint of blue.

Very beautiful work Vic. Absolutely outstanding... I noticed you used what looks like an electrolitic capacitor for you APU. Now that's funny. :) Your plane might be the only plane with any real juice in it. :)

I've heard a rumour that Vic is going to have the engines working, and the nav lights flashing .......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back