**** DONE: 1/48 Polikarpov I-16 Type 18 - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Geo, I came across these recently: GRABIT STX Kind of like a small Q-tip whose end is tacky. Really great for small parts. Much better than tweezers that can slip and launch small part into orbit (must cause they vanish)

Very cool with lots of informative discussion! You guys are so knowledgeable about the specifics of each type of I-16, I am afraid I may overlook something in my build. Anyways, I am going to follow this build because of the shared subject. The exterior paint color discussion was especially helpful. Are you going to show your cockpit door open or closed?

Are you going to show your cockpit door open or closed?

I'm going to check the fit first. That's always the deciding factor for me. As not much will be seen open or closed, if the door fits well in the closed position, up she comes. I've got the innards painted grey and the add on pieces green. I'll future it, give it a wash and then get some photos. Any one have any photos of seat belts? This is the best i can find...

111120-1A.jpg

...from Vics build in GB#12.

Geo

I've got nothing on Russian types Geo, sorry. I'm sure Wojtek will chime in with something again though.

I see what you mean about the decals. The Begmont decal sheet you want for that number 30, is one of three sheets you get for your 25 bucks, 2.9 sheeta too many!

I agree Bill. I'll use the two 30s and have a bazillion numbers left over that I'll never use. Thanks for the photos Wojtek as I was curious about the shoulder harness attachments, the rest will be buried under the wee cockpit opening. Odd about the three photos...2 greenish, and one bluish/grey, mine is going to green. Not going to get carried away with the cockpit and the weathering is a little heavy, the reason being, not a heck of a lot will be seen once the fuselage halves are together...

002.JPG
005.JPG

003.JPG
007.JPG

008.JPG

Geo

Funny to see the similar choices you are making to me based on circumstances. I've come to same conclusion regarding the I-16 cockpit and will not be doing any additional detailing due to the tight enclosure. Looking good! Have you pre-fitted the wings to the fuselage yet? I'm taking a close look at this to avoid gaps at the top of the wing root joint.

I've had some limited success with the prismacolor pencils with a very sharp point when no decal was available but paint...not even with a one hair brush

Another option........... soooo many suggestions.

Drill thru the instrument recesses, thru where the instrument decal will show. Then file the Back of the IP plastic face till it is very thin and place over the decal. Mock PE from the plastic piece. If you coat the decal, After it is applied to the back plate, with white wood glue then press the thinned face over it, let the wood glue squish out the front. When dry the wood glue is clear and will look like the glass over the instrument.

Try this first on an old pice and see how you like it before going to the kit stuff. Food for thought is all.

That's a neat option Bill. George, I would think you'd have to thin this down quite a bit. Half a millimeter at most in my view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back