**** DONE: 1/48 Polikarpov I-16 Type 18 - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Most Eagle Strike decals I have use come with references to support the schemes they present so I'm guessing there is a photo of that particular aircraft that shows some over-painting of perhaps an old insignia before applying the star.

View attachment 269353

...Eagle Strike would have one paint a lighter shade of green under the star. I like it as it breaks up the boring green. Any thoughts?

Geo

If you have a look at the enlarged part of the I-16 profile you can notice that there is an area painted with a quite fresh green colour around and under the red star.

806303tartachuk_1.jpg

Beauty Wojtek. Would that be close to Olive Drab? I've got that and a few other Tamiya greens. In camp now so if I need another color, I can add it to my shopping list for PG. The there is limited to Tamiya, Vallejo and I think Model Master.

Geo

The Olive Drab ???? ...depending of what colour you are going to use as the AMT-4. The Tamiya doesn't seem to offer a such green tinge. But ModelMaster/Testors does. It could be 1715 or 1713. I would say the MM/Testors 1713 ( FS 34102 ) is the one you need because it is equivalent of the AMT-4 colour.

model-master-enamel-medium-green-fs34102.jpg

model-master-enamel-interior-green-fs34151.jpg

But if you plan to apply the Olive Drab you can use ...

The Olive Drab ( shade 319, later 613 ) , should be a little bit lighter than the Olive Drab shade 41.

model-master-acrylic-olive-drab-fs34087.jpg

The Olive Drab shade 41 ( FS 34087 ) ModelMaster 1711.

model-master-enamel-olive-drab-fs34087.jpg

and ModelMaster 4842.. Olive Drab ANA 613. But I wouldn't suggest the one because it seems to be too dark.

model-master-acrylic-olive-drab-ana613.jpg

Last edited:
Many thanks once again. Olive Drab was a poor choice of words but I'm not up on the Russian color codes and that was the closest I could come to describe the color. I think I have a few of the colors you posted so you may have saved me a 400km round trip.

Geo

Good Gawd, 3 weeks since I've been here. Thanks Igor and Mr. Wint. My marathon with GB#22 is done and it's nice to be able to hold a model with one hand again. Baby steps to start back into it again, I opened holes on top of the fuselage that allowed light onto the I.P., these looking like round panel lines on the model.

001.JPG

I'm not to exited about the attachment points of the I.P. to the fuselage so I'm going to add plastic strips to give a more secure gluing surface.

Geo

Quite the contrast, from huge to tiny.

Here's the contrast...

003.JPG

...as mentioned earlier, I wasn't happy with the attachment points on the I.P. so I added some plastic and it pretty well stands on its own now...

001.JPG

Should be all together tonight, ready for paint. The mud has nothing to do with Eduards, just a personal choice...

006.JPG
010.JPG

The wing halves are joined and I did a test fit as I had heard there was a gap between the fuselage and the wing requiring a spreader. Mine wasn't bad, but there looks to be an issue with the fuselage/cowling join. More on that later.

Geo

Thanks Andy. Here's the fuselage/wing test fitted with a bit of gappage on the port side. The upper arrow shows the total gluing surface that hold the cockpit to the fuselage, just around the head rest. I'm going to add some angle strip to the bottom of the cockpit to reinforce this.

014.JPG

This will be the only area of concern for the build...

013.JPG

Geo

Good progress mate and you seem to have everything under control with this little pup. You've just built Goliath, now you're working on David!

b0227.gif

Thanks guys. Just throwing this out there as it will be buried anyhow, but what color was the firewall? You can barely see the engine cylinders but what the heck.

EDIT: Just gonna throw this in here as well.(I painted the firewall dark grey as it won't be seen).Anyhoo...I've notice on other model sites that the modelers have the landing gear retraction wire(?) entering the fuselage, through the wheel well via a kidney shaped panel. I thought this was also an inspection panel until I came across this...

Untitled.jpg

...now this is a photo of a Type 24 wheel well, soooooo, were the wheel wells the same through-out the different Types? This is where I think it should enter(oops, should have been drawn at a 90° to that stiffener(?).

002.JPG

Geo

Last edited:
Here is a diagram with the main lending gear retractig system. To answer your question on the panels in the wheel bays .. the shape and dimensions could vary slightly depending on a factory. But the layout of these in wheel bays was still the same for all types of I-16. Please, have a look at the thread of the Polish forum that can come in handy too.

Modelarstwo z pasj? ? Zobacz w?tek - I-16 Special Hobby 1:32 - Open

i16_podwozie.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back