**** DONE: 1/48 Polikarpov I-16 Type 18 - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If you have a teeny round file, drill a hole just big enough for the tip, then twist it Against the spiral cut of the file and let it size the hole for you. INFINITE drill size!

I usually don't care for instrument decals but in this case I'd use them. With that tiny cockpit opening not much will be seen, and for what can be seen the decal will do just fine.

As you can see, I took the easy(cowards) way out...

007.JPG

...waiting for my home-made seat belts to dry and then I can install the cockpit and close up the fuselage.

Geo

Looks pretty good to me George. Looking forward to seeing those belts. I'm getting a bit tired of the Eduard PE belts and their "made bed" look myself.

george more interior pics

Polikarpov I-16 (9).JPG

Polikarpov I-16 (8).JPG

Polikarpov I-16 (12).JPG

I made these pictures on the plane bravo the "6 double" 1938 it's went flying from the town where I live and now in the Museum of the Battle of the Ebro in Senia, Tarragona

Polikarpov I-16 (17).JPG

Last edited:
Thank you very much Sergio. Seatbelts are done, good enough for what will be seen and everything is glued to the floor. My only concern is that the seatback is at the proper angle when glued into the fuselage...

010.JPG

Geo

Belts look good. To ensure the seat back fits properly in cases like this, I tape the floor to one side of the fuselage, glue in the seat back, adjust, and then tape the seat back until the glue has set.

Ahaaaa....Thanks Andy. The instructions show inserting the floor section into the glued halves which is what John did over in his GB build. I think it will be a little fiddly no matter which way I do it due to the lack of gluing surface. I'll test both ways and should have some pics tonight.

Geo

Yeah, it's tough to pre-fit because there are no positive attachment points for the cockpit assembly such as pins or slots. I really like those seat belts Geo!

I posted this on my build... take care attaching the wings to the fuselage. I had trouble securing the back bottom edge of the wing assembly to the bottom of the fuselage. Using liquid cement, I worked from front to back and by the time I got to that back edge, I could not get a good bond because of a gap. Now I have a see-sawing joint that has difficulty holding putty without cracking.

Geo i fitted it as per instructions but glued the head rest to the fuselage first to make sure it looked ok there.
dont remember any problems with fitting apart from that spreader bar i put in, though the undercart is very fiddly to put together and attach !!!!!

Thanks for popping in guys. I've been busy trying to focus my waning interest on my GB22 build. Thanks Karl, I'm going to glue some plastic strip down the fuselage sides to give the seat back plate some extra surface to glue onto. All the builds on other sites mention the fiddly landing gear.

Geo

You're doing a good job with this little fellow George and yes the landing gear is fiddly especially with the wire wind up mechanism, but it looks good when done.

Thanks for that Vic. While waiting for paint to dry over yonder in GB22 land, I came across this, Eagle Strike 48134...

Capture1.JPG

...Eagle Strike would have one paint a lighter shade of green under the star. I like it as it breaks up the boring green. Any thoughts?

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back