***DONE: Bell p-39N Airacobra 42-18393 "Millie" 350th FG 346th FS Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For those that like to hear veterans stories, here is a link to an oral history interview with Kenneth Thomason. Kenneth is still getting (racing) around in a Corvette convertible so I'm told by Keith Vizcarra. He travelled with Shuford Alexander on the way to join the 350th but served in a different squadron - the 347th. Shuford was assigned to the 346th. Incidentally, Keith's father Gil Vizcarra also travelled with this bunch and ended up with the 345th FS

Kenneth compares the p-39 to the p-47 and describes his experiences with the 350th.

Hope you find it interesting.

Missouri Veteran Stories - Video Player

Cheers

Peter

Last edited:
Thanks Dan - it's progressing nicely and the cockpit should be more or less be finished this weekend, with another update soon. I've had to go back into my p-40 build for a moment and update my research on 76 squadron. Got a very welcome influx of info on the pilot. Still pinching myself.

Cheers

Peter

Hi

It's been awhile, so time for an update. :oops: I've been busy on home reno, so the P-39 has been off the bench lately, but I did a bit today, and have been doing more research.

Examining the Dash 1 pilots manual confirmed that the "Harness Roller" is missing from the Eduard kit. Basically it's a horizontal bar that's sits above the seat back, above shoulder level. You can see it clearly in the manual page and the Detail and Scale photos. Eduard supply the etch seat belts, but they need to go over the roller, not over the back of the seat as per the instructions.

So what to do. I found a replacement in a standard pin. Drilled out a horizontal hole with the Dremel, cut the pin to size and super glued it in place.

While I had the Dremel in hand I drilled out all the frame holes with a suitable sized drill bit. Hope you can see that.

Eduard supply two versions on the instrument panel. I have the page from the P39N-0 and P-39N-1and the middle section of the panel does not seem to match the Eduard versions supplied :| . The Eduard instructions don't seem to indicate which is which either, so this is the version I picked.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• 01-110FG-1-010 resize.jpg
    01-110FG-1-010 resize.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 141
  • cockpit Pin 2 - resize.jpg
    cockpit Pin 2 - resize.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 141
  • cockpit Pin - resize.jpg
    cockpit Pin - resize.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 136
  • cockpit Pin 3 - resize.jpg
    cockpit Pin 3 - resize.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 137
  • panel 1 - resize.jpg
    panel 1 - resize.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 01-110FM-1-007 resize.jpg
    01-110FM-1-007 resize.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 140
Thanks Terry - yes the panel looks complicated and there is a lot of detail to capture - the photo etch is starting to look scary!

Harking back to one of your previous comments Terry...

"I hadn't realised how big it actually is, especially it's height, until I saw your pics of 'Millie' on the ground, with her pilot."

I just found out that the pilot's nickname of "Big Al" was somewhat of a misnomer, he was actually 5'6" and 117 pounds at the time. It's no surprise that the P-39 looks big! :D

Cheers

Peter

Peter i've just moved into my wifes parents house so space is tight, i've just begun converting the garage into a workshop for me.
so if i'm lucky i might have time to join in, but i dont think i will be able to at the moment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back